Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can you separate a series of numbers into jenks?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shelly.........or anybody<g

What is a "jenk"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:55:21 -0800, Shelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

mmm......it's like "call my bluff" on here

.....I think you'll find that a "jenk" is a small, golden coloured marsupial,
native to the Gobi desert, it hibernates for 364 days of the year and only
comes out on the other day (or two on leap years) to forage for......

....hold on a minute, I may have that wrong, that's a jink.....

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Shelly.........or anybody<g

What is a "jenk"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:55:21 -0800, Shelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Aaah, Gord's on the metric system, so that's why he didn't know.

wrote:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Aaah, Deb, we can't let Gord off that easily.
If, as you say he is on the metric system and the jerk is measured in
metres / second cubed, then I think he should well have known the
following and should have provided an immediate answer to the OP <vbg

In physics, jerk, also called jolt (esp. in British English), surge or
lurch, is the rate of change of acceleration; more precisely, the
derivative of acceleration with respect to time, the second derivative
of velocity, or the third derivative of displacement. Jerk is described
by the following equation:

where

is acceleration,
- velocity,
- displacement
t stands for time.
Yank is the analog of force with respect to jerk: mass times jerk, or
equivalently, the derivative of force with respect to time (this is only
true non-relativistically; since mass is velocity dependent in
relativistic physics, force is usually written as the first derivative
of the momentum, while yank would be the second derivative. For force,
it can be shown that dp/dt reduces to the familiar ma when v << c). Jerk
is a vector, and there is no generally used term to describe its scalar
value.

The units of jerk are metres per second cubed (m/s3). There is no
universal agreement on the symbol for j

Now here in the UK, the Yank is normally known as someone originating
from the USA, and the Yanks may well think that
the Welsh who answer posts in this manner are complete Jerks<g.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry about that folks.

I did not add an attachment, but I should have converted the text I
copied from Wilkipedia first. Because of the special scripting, the
newsreader added the attachments.
The following should be OK and not have any attachments
(in all cases there should be an arrow pointing right above a, v and r
in the equations shown below)
Aaah, Deb, we can't let Gord off that easily.
If, as you say he is on the metric system and the jerk is measured in
metres / second cubed, then I think he should well have known the
following and should have provided an immediate answer to the OP <vbg

In physics, jerk, also called jolt (esp. in British English), surge or
lurch, is the rate of change of acceleration; more precisely, the
derivative of acceleration with respect to time, the second derivative
of velocity, or the third derivative of displacement. Jerk is described
by the following equation:

j =da/dt = d²v/dt² = d³r/dt³

where

a – is acceleration,
v – velocity,
r – displacement
t stands for time.

Yank is the analog of force with respect to jerk: mass times jerk, or
equivalently, the derivative of force with respect to time (this is only
true non-relativistically; since mass is velocity dependent in
relativistic physics, force is usually written as the first derivative
of the momentum, while yank would be the second derivative. For force,
it can be shown that dp/dt reduces to the familiar ma when v << c). Jerk
is a vector, and there is no generally used term to describe its scalar
value.

The units of jerk are metres per second cubed (m/s3). There is no
universal agreement on the symbol for j

Now here in the UK, the Yank is normally known as someone originating
from the USA, and the Yanks may well think that
the Welsh who answer posts in this manner are complete Jerks<g.
(especially when they create attachments to binary groups - mea culpa)

--

wrote:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger

OP's subject line reads "JENKS" not "JERKS"

My psychic powers are off a bit lately so missed the connection.

Thanks for the info on jerks.

Had never seen nor heard that term but a quick 'net search pulled up all I need
to know.

Gord

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:18:56 -0000, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Gord

OP's subject line reads "JENKS" not "JERKS"

I must get to the Opticians!!!

Still, it all created a little more humour<bg

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And added to my store of, for my purposes, entirely useless trivia.

Although it may come up sometime in a crossword puzzle.

Gord

Hi Gord