Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default three data validation tables related to each other

I want to be able to relate the tables to the one previous to it.
If 'James' is picked from CLIENTS, I would like only 'James Job 1' and
'James Job 2' to be shown from JOBS.
If 'James Job 2 'is picked, then only 'James Job 2 Function 1' and 'James
Job 2 Function 2' and 'James Job 2 Function 3' to be shown from FUNCTION.

I have tried the INDIRECT function and made it work with 2 tables, but can
not seem to make it work with 3 tables.

eg:
CLIENTS
James
Arthur

JOBS
James Job 1
James Job 2
Arthur Job 1
Arthur Job 2

FUNCTION
James Job 1 Function 1
James Job 1 Function 2
James Job 1 Function 3
James Job 2 Function 1
James Job 2 Function 2
James Job 2 Function 3
Arthur Job 1 Function 1
Arthur Job 1 Function 2
Arthur Job 1 Function 3
Arthur Job 2 Function 1
Arthur Job 2 Function 2
Arthur Job 2 Function 3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It would be easier to show you through a sample file than try to explain it
in writing!

Sample file:

DV.xls 14.5kb

http://cjoint.com/?cneUGXwjf1

I've also used conditional formatting to "clear" the dependent cells when a
new unrelated selection is made.

Biff

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi T.Valko,
Thanks for the solution, it worked great.
How can do the same "relationship" without matching up the words.
eg
CLIENTS
James
Arthur

JOBS
Website (James Job 1)
Support (James Job 2)
Programming (Arthur Job 1)
Support (Arthur Job 2)

FUNCTION
Project Management (James Job 1 Function 1)
Analysis (James Job 1 Function 2)
Technical Design (James Job 1 Function 3)
Deployment (James Job 2 Function 1)
User Acceptance Testing(James Job 2 Function 2)
Product Server Maintenence (James Job 2 Function 3)
Project Management (Arthur Job 1 Function 1)
Support (Arthur Job 1 Function 2)
Timesheet (Arthur Job 2 Function 1)
File server ackups (Arthur Job 2 Function 2)
Production server maintenance (Arthur Job 2 Function 3)

There are likely to be about 10 clients, each with one to 4 jobs.
I would like to have many functions, that relate to the jobs - some may have
10 functions with detailed descriptions.

Also, I would like to have the Clients, Jobs and Functions on a different
worksheet.

Sounds like a tall order!

I have tried to give each client in CLIENTS a number in a separate column
using the indirect function from Contextures 01 and 02, and then use that to
do the data validation in JOBS. But I could not get it to work. Another
problem that I have is that the Clients in CLIENTS are not just 'one word'
clients, so it makes it difficult to name the JOBS.

I am in a mess and really need help! Is what I want to do possible?

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok.....

What you have to do is create a hierarchical list that relates to each
client. If you have 10 clients then you have to create 10 lists. This could
really be a lot of work if you had 100's of clients!

Here's an updated sample file:

DV2.xls 22kb

http://cjoint.com/?cpfLNoqTV4

Sheet1 has the drop downs and Sheet2 is the source data. On Sheet2 the cells
highlighted are all defined names that refer to the data immediately below
each highlighted cell. I removed all the stuff in ( ) from your sample data.

In this sample file I've used an event macro to clear the drop down cells
when an unrelated selection is made. You can see the code by right clicking
on the Sheet1 tab and selecting View Code.

If you check the formulas for the drop down sources you'll notice that
they're are much simpler than those in the previous sample file.

Biff

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Biff,

I'm trying to do exactly (I think) the same as Susan - but the link to your
sample worksheet won't work... has it moved? I'd really like to see it to
solve my problem!

Thanks

CloudDoctor

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Both of those links have expired.

I still have the one sample file that uses an event macro to clear the drop
down cells when a change is made. Do you want to see that one? Let me know
and I'll post a fresh link.

Biff

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sample file

Depend drop downs with macro.xls 21.5kb

http://cjoint.com/?dxdpoPZMhs

To see the event macro select Sheet1. Right click the sheet tab and select
View code.

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's a fresh link:

Depend drop downs with macro.xls 21kb

http://cjoint.com/?iiazUdtUjw

This file contains an event macro so you need to enable macros for it to
work properly.

Sheet1 contains the drop downs, Sheet2 contains the source for the drop
downs.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP