Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I copy a formula all the way down a column........

I am using MS Excel 2003. How do I copy a formula all the way down a column
without copying the data inside the cell too? When I entered the formula in
the second cell of the last column and got my total. I copied the formula in
the cell and went down. It copied the formula but also copied the total?
Now if I delete the total I also delete the formula? Help me please.
Sincerely, Lucy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Suppose A1 and B1 have numbers, and C1 has =A1+B1
And the A2:A5 and B2:B4 also have numbers
If you copy C1 down the column, you will see numbers in C cells but if you
look in the Formula Bar you will see Formulas. Cells display results;
Formula Bar displays formula

by the way, the quickest way to copy a formula down a column is to double
click its fill handle - small solid square in right lower corner of active
cell. This trick works when an adjacent column has something in it.

best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"lucdol" wrote in message
I am using MS Excel 2003. How do I copy a formula all the way down a
column
without copying the data inside the cell too? When I entered the formula
in
the second cell of the last column and got my total. I copied the formula
in
the cell and went down. It copied the formula but also copied the total?
Now if I delete the total I also delete the formula? Help me please.
Sincerely, Lucy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

lucdol

Two questions:
1) What is your formula?
2) Are the cells to which the formula is refering empty?

Sounds to me like your have tried to build a sheet that "Anticipates
information coming in. So therefore in the cells that show your "Copied
Total" all the way down are referencing cells that do not have data. If this
is the case either post back with the answers to the two questions, and I can
help, or look in help at "IF()" statements.

Mike Rogers

"lucdol" wrote:

I am using MS Excel 2003. How do I copy a formula all the way down a column
without copying the data inside the cell too? When I entered the formula in
the second cell of the last column and got my total. I copied the formula in
the cell and went down. It copied the formula but also copied the total?
Now if I delete the total I also delete the formula? Help me please.
Sincerely, Lucy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In addition to Bernard's advice, make sure ToolsOptionsCalculation is set to
Automatic.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:03:00 -0800, lucdol
wrote:

I am using MS Excel 2003. How do I copy a formula all the way down a column
without copying the data inside the cell too? When I entered the formula in
the second cell of the last column and got my total. I copied the formula in
the cell and went down. It copied the formula but also copied the total?
Now if I delete the total I also delete the formula? Help me please.
Sincerely, Lucy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Outside chance that your sheet is set to *manual* calc?

That wouldn't permit the "new" formulas to calculate, therefore giving the
*appearance* that the totals were being copied also.

Try:
<Tools <Options <Calculation tab,
And make sure that AUTOMATIC *is* checked.
--
HTH,

RD

"lucdol" wrote in message
I am using MS Excel 2003. How do I copy a formula all the way down a

column
without copying the data inside the cell too? When I entered the formula

in
the second cell of the last column and got my total. I copied the formula

in
the cell and went down. It copied the formula but also copied the total?
Now if I delete the total I also delete the formula? Help me please.
Sincerely, Lucy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My formula is =P=d-e-f+g-h-i-j-k-l-m-o
and the last column which is P is empty. Should I have copied the formula
from P1 down instead of from P2?

"lucdol" wrote:

I am using MS Excel 2003. How do I copy a formula all the way down a column
without copying the data inside the cell too? When I entered the formula in
the second cell of the last column and got my total. I copied the formula in
the cell and went down. It copied the formula but also copied the total?
Now if I delete the total I also delete the formula? Help me please.
Sincerely, Lucy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

lucdol

I take it that your formula is in P2 and looks like this:
=D2-E2-F2+G2-H2-J2-K2-L2-M2-O2. Now to drag this down I get totals as I
should, not the total I think you described. I draged it to rows past my
information in adjoining columns I get 0's.

You should have copied your formula down from the first row that you want a
total in to the last row you want a total.
Is it the total that is in P2 that is carrying down? Give me a little more
information on your layout and intent, what are your trying to accomplish.

Mike Rogers