Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Difficult function

Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
making a math-game.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(A3="","",IF(A1*A2=A3,"Good","Try again"))

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Teacher in Revetal" <Teacher in wrote in message
| Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
| If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
| in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
| blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
| making a math-game.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

no different than the other but just to note A3 will never be blank because
it's a formula, it may be zero.

=IF(A1*A2=0,"",IF(A1*A2=A3,"Good","Try Again"))

in C3:

"Teacher in Revetal" wrote:

Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
making a math-game.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Who says A3 is a formula?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Mike" wrote in message ...
| no different than the other but just to note A3 will never be blank because
| it's a formula, it may be zero.
|
| =IF(A1*A2=0,"",IF(A1*A2=A3,"Good","Try Again"))
|
| "Toppers" wrote:
|
| in C3:
|
| =IF(A3="","",IF(A1*A2=A3,"Good","TryAgain"))
|
| Will this do?
|
| "Teacher in Revetal" wrote:
|
| Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
| If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
| in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
| blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
| making a math-game.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You may also want to consider rounding especially if you are using decimals
and may want to do a

=IF(A3="","",IF(round(A1*A2,5)=A3,"Good","Try Again"))

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

in C3:

"Teacher in Revetal" wrote:

Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
making a math-game.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you very much. It was just what I and my students needed.
Ellen

"Niek Otten" wrote:

=IF(A3="","",IF(A1*A2=A3,"Good","Try again"))

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Teacher in Revetal" <Teacher in wrote in message
| Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
| If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
| in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
| blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
| making a math-game.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear Martin.
Can you explain to me what round(A1*A2,5)=A3 means? What is the role of
number 5? I also have to remember than in Norwegian we must use semicolon
instead or comma to make the function play.
Ellen, Norway

"Martin Fishlock" wrote:

You may also want to consider rounding especially if you are using decimals
and may want to do a

=IF(A3="","",IF(round(A1*A2,5)=A3,"Good","Try Again"))

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

in C3:

"Teacher in Revetal" wrote:

Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
making a math-game.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The round function rounds the first number to the last number of decimal
places so
round(A1*A2,5) will calculate A1 X A2 and then round it to 5 decimal places.

So if the answer was 7,9999999999 it would round it to 8 and then compare to
the given anwer which was probably 8 rather than 7,9999999999.

--

"Martin Fishlock" wrote:

You may also want to consider rounding especially if you are using decimals
and may want to do a

=IF(A3="","",IF(round(A1*A2,5)=A3,"Good","Try Again"))

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

in C3:

"Teacher in Revetal" wrote:

Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
making a math-game.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you.
I have never learned Excel programming. But my students in 9th grade are now
making a math game together with students in 9th grade in an international
school in another town. They cooperate through Internet. Very interesting,
both for my students and me, and they are very creative.
I did a lot of programming in Turbo Pascal 15 years ago, so I know the
logical thinking, but I don't know the spesifics in Excel. I hope you all can
help me further if I need it.
Ellen from Norway

"Martin Fishlock" wrote:

You may also want to consider rounding especially if you are using decimals
and may want to do a

=IF(A3="","",IF(round(A1*A2,5)=A3,"Good","Try Again"))

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

in C3:

"Teacher in Revetal" wrote:

Can anyone help me? I need a function that provides the following:
If a1*a2=a3, then show Good, else show Try again. This function is written
in c3, and I can make it work. But if a3 is a blanc, i want to show c3 as a
blank without ruining the function in c3. Is this possible? My students are
making a math-game.

List of functions contained in the add-ins, esp. Analysis Toolpak Neil Goldwasser Excel Worksheet Functions 3 January 12th 07 12:43 PM
Custom functions calculating time arguments Help Desperate Bill_De Excel Worksheet Functions 12 April 25th 06 02:22 AM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM