Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formulae with Text

Perhaps not the best subject line, but I'll try and explain what I'm
looking for.

I have a spreadsheet and in column A, listed row after row, will be
the text "REQ", followed by a three digit number. The first entry, in
A2, will be "REQ001" and each subsequent row should increment the
number, so that A3 will hold "REQ002", A4 will hold "REQ003" etc.

There will also be ability the insert new rows, as and when required.
But, rather than typing in REQ...whatever, is there anyway I can get a
formula inserted into the cell, that will put the REQ in for me, and
then put the next three digit number in the sequence after it?

Here's hoping!

TIA

Duncs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Duncs wrote:
Perhaps not the best subject line, but I'll try and explain what I'm
looking for.

I have a spreadsheet and in column A, listed row after row, will be
the text "REQ", followed by a three digit number. The first entry, in
A2, will be "REQ001" and each subsequent row should increment the
number, so that A3 will hold "REQ002", A4 will hold "REQ003" etc.

There will also be ability the insert new rows, as and when required.
But, rather than typing in REQ...whatever, is there anyway I can get a
formula inserted into the cell, that will put the REQ in for me, and
then put the next three digit number in the sequence after it?

Here's hoping!

TIA

Duncs

Hi Duncs

Try Cell/Format/Custom "REQ"@ I'd use it as text, since you probably
won't be doing any calculations with the result...

Beege