-   -   Formulae with Text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/128786-formulae-text.html)

Duncs

Formulae with Text

Perhaps not the best subject line, but I'll try and explain what I'm
looking for.

I have a spreadsheet and in column A, listed row after row, will be
the text "REQ", followed by a three digit number. The first entry, in
A2, will be "REQ001" and each subsequent row should increment the
number, so that A3 will hold "REQ002", A4 will hold "REQ003" etc.

There will also be ability the insert new rows, as and when required.
But, rather than typing in REQ...whatever, is there anyway I can get a
formula inserted into the cell, that will put the REQ in for me, and
then put the next three digit number in the sequence after it?

Here's hoping!

TIA

Duncs

Beege

Formulae with Text

Duncs wrote:
Perhaps not the best subject line, but I'll try and explain what I'm
looking for.

I have a spreadsheet and in column A, listed row after row, will be
the text "REQ", followed by a three digit number. The first entry, in
A2, will be "REQ001" and each subsequent row should increment the
number, so that A3 will hold "REQ002", A4 will hold "REQ003" etc.

There will also be ability the insert new rows, as and when required.
But, rather than typing in REQ...whatever, is there anyway I can get a
formula inserted into the cell, that will put the REQ in for me, and
then put the next three digit number in the sequence after it?

Here's hoping!

TIA

Duncs

Hi Duncs

Try Cell/Format/Custom "REQ"@ I'd use it as text, since you probably
won't be doing any calculations with the result...

Beege

Sandy Mann

Formulae with Text

Assuming that you want Row 11 to show REQ010 and Row 1001 REQ1000 then try:

="REQ"&TEXT(ROW()-1,"000")

in A2 and copy down using the fill handle as required.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Duncs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Perhaps not the best subject line, but I'll try and explain what I'm
looking for.

I have a spreadsheet and in column A, listed row after row, will be
the text "REQ", followed by a three digit number. The first entry, in
A2, will be "REQ001" and each subsequent row should increment the
number, so that A3 will hold "REQ002", A4 will hold "REQ003" etc.

There will also be ability the insert new rows, as and when required.
But, rather than typing in REQ...whatever, is there anyway I can get a
formula inserted into the cell, that will put the REQ in for me, and
then put the next three digit number in the sequence after it?

Here's hoping!

TIA

Duncs

Duncs

Formulae with Text

Many thanks both for replying. I now have it working.

Duncs