Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Assigning numerical value to text

This may be simple but I'm new...forgive me...
I've created drop-down lists in a column with several variables all in text
from a list. I am trying to make it so that when I click on a variable, the
numerical value is displayed in the cell....
Any help would be appreciated.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot but I
couldn't find it under all the "Help" topics....

Thanks,
Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How many variables are there? If it's more than 4-5 and there's no
sequential pattern to the logic then your best bet is to create a lookup
table. For example:

...........A..........B
1.......Red.......10
2.......Blue.......25
3.......Green....37

Your drop down list is in cell D1 and the selections are Red, Blue or Green.
Then in say, cell E1 you'd use this formula:

=VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B3,2,0)

Biff

"Dave" wrote in message
This may be simple but I'm new...forgive me...
I've created drop-down lists in a column with several variables all in
text
from a list. I am trying to make it so that when I click on a variable,
the
numerical value is displayed in the cell....
Any help would be appreciated.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot but
couldn't find it under all the "Help" topics....

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There may be as many at 10 numerical variables and they will just be
sequential from 1 to 10. The drop down list may contain as many as 5 words.
Just to start, as a test, I've created just three text entries in the drop
down list and wish to assign them simply the numbers 1 to 3. I've created
two reference columns one containing the text and the next containing the
numbers 1 to three corresponding to the text.....The drop down menu's will
extend the entire length of the column...in this case column B....

"Dave" wrote in message
This may be simple but I'm new...forgive me...
I've created drop-down lists in a column with several variables all in
text
from a list. I am trying to make it so that when I click on a variable,
the
numerical value is displayed in the cell....
Any help would be appreciated.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot but
couldn't find it under all the "Help" topics....

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, Dave

This is completely off topic and has nothing to do with your post, but in
case you're interested I've found the solution to the "No focus rectangles
when using XP styles on VB6 project" problem you posted somewhere last year.
Hit the same brick wall this morning and have finally figured out the answer.

Cheers and good luck with the Excel post!

Mark

"Dave" wrote:

This may be simple but I'm new...forgive me...
I've created drop-down lists in a column with several variables all in text
from a list. I am trying to make it so that when I click on a variable, the
numerical value is displayed in the cell....
Any help would be appreciated.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot but I
couldn't find it under all the "Help" topics....

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

to some extent although is it possible to have the numerical value returned
in the same cell as the drop down menu..???

Thanks for the help so far!!!
Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
This may be simple but I'm new...forgive me...
I've created drop-down lists in a column with several variables all in
text
from a list. I am trying to make it so that when I click on a
variable,
the
numerical value is displayed in the cell....
Any help would be appreciated.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot
but
couldn't find it under all the "Help" topics....

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

is it possible to have the numerical value returned
in the same cell as the drop down menu..???

Not using worksheet formulas. It can probably be done with some VBA code but
I don't know how to do it.

Biff

"Dave" wrote in message
This may be simple but I'm new...forgive me...
I've created drop-down lists in a column with several variables all
in
text
from a list. I am trying to make it so that when I click on a
variable,
the
numerical value is displayed in the cell....
Any help would be appreciated.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong
spot
but
couldn't find it under all the "Help" topics....

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, if I could bug you one more time........when you cut and paste a
formula into a cluster of cells within a column (using the VLookup format)
how do you keep the reference array the same.....everytime I cut and paste
the reference cell numbers also change???
thx..

Dave

"T. Valko" wrote:

You're welcome!

Biff

"Dave" wrote in message
This may be simple but I'm new...forgive me...
I've created drop-down lists in a column with several variables
all
in
text
from a list. I am trying to make it so that when I click on a
variable,
the
numerical value is displayed in the cell....
Any help would be appreciated.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong
spot
but
couldn't find it under all the "Help" topics....

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make the references to the lookup table absolute:

=VLOOKUP(D1,$A$1:$B$3,2,0)

Biff

"Dave" wrote in message
Sorry, if I could bug you one more time........when you cut and paste a
formula into a cluster of cells within a column (using the VLookup format)
how do you keep the reference array the same.....everytime I cut and paste
the reference cell numbers also change???
thx..

Dave

"T. Valko" wrote:

You're welcome!