Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Dave is offline

Default Assigning numerical value to text

to some extent although is it possible to have the numerical value returned
in the same cell as the drop down menu..???

Thanks for the help so far!!!
Dave

"T. Valko" wrote:

Ok, does that work like you want it to?

Biff

"Dave" wrote in message
There may be as many at 10 numerical variables and they will just be
sequential from 1 to 10. The drop down list may contain as many as 5
words.
Just to start, as a test, I've created just three text entries in the drop
down list and wish to assign them simply the numbers 1 to 3. I've created
two reference columns one containing the text and the next containing the
numbers 1 to three corresponding to the text.....The drop down menu's will
extend the entire length of the column...in this case column B....

"T. Valko" wrote:

How many variables are there? If it's more than 4-5 and there's no
sequential pattern to the logic then your best bet is to create a lookup
table. For example:

...........A..........B
1.......Red.......10
2.......Blue.......25
3.......Green....37

Your drop down list is in cell D1 and the selections are Red, Blue or
Green.
Then in say, cell E1 you'd use this formula:

=VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B3,2,0)

Biff

"Dave" wrote in message
This may be simple but I'm new...forgive me...
I've created drop-down lists in a column with several variables all in
text
from a list. I am trying to make it so that when I click on a
variable,
the
numerical value is displayed in the cell....
Any help would be appreciated.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot
but
couldn't find it under all the "Help" topics....

Thanks,
Dave