Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hsg hsg is offline

Default data entry problem

My data contains two columns, first giving employee name, and second giving
his identity number, which is unique for each employee.There are hundreds of
employees.

Wherever I want to use employee name in any table, I want the identity
number to appear in next column opposite name,

can someone help?

harsh
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assume your table is in the range A2:B100

Cell D2 = some employee name

Enter this formula in E2 to return the employee's ID number:

=IF(E2="","",VLOOKUP(E2,$A$2:$B$100,2,0))

Biff

"hsg" wrote in message
My data contains two columns, first giving employee name, and second
giving
his identity number, which is unique for each employee.There are hundreds
of
employees.

Wherever I want to use employee name in any table, I want the identity
number to appear in next column opposite name,

can someone help?

harsh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In your formula, I think you meant D2 instead of E2

You're right. I'm having one of those days!

=IF(E2="","",VLOOKUP(E2,$A$2:$B$100,2,0))

Should be:

=IF(D2="","",VLOOKUP(D2,$A$2:$B$100,2,0))

Biff