Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sam Sam is offline

Default Time Calculation

What is the secret to adding-up time? I have my cells set for [h]:mm and
when I sum the column the total of wrong. What am I missing?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Could be a case of data inconsistency,
ie some of the times are "text" times ..

Instead of using eg: =SUM(A2:A5)
Try a gentle coercion via SUMPRODUCT, viz.:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A5))

with the formula cell custom formatted as: [h]:mm
--
Max
Singapore
"Sam" wrote:
What is the secret to adding-up time? I have my cells set for [h]:mm and
when I sum the column the total of wrong. What am I missing?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What you are missing is enough information for contributors to the group to
be able to help you.

We are not clairvoyant, despite the impression given by some fellow
contributors. If you merely say "it's wrong", we're not likely to be able
to guess where you have made the mistakes in your formulae. If you tell us
what numbers you are trying to add up, and what answers you are getting,
then we may be able to help.
--
David Biddulph

"Sam" wrote in message
What is the secret to adding-up time? I have my cells set for [h]:mm and
when I sum the column the total of wrong. What am I missing?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sam Sam is offline

An expample: In one column: 8:38 + 12:58 with a Sum of 21:36. Paychex gets a
total of 20:96.
Thanks

"Sam" wrote in message
What is the secret to adding-up time? I have my cells set for [h]:mm and
when I sum the column the total of wrong. What am I missing?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

8:38 + 12:58 *does* add up to 21:36.
I don't know what "Paychex" is, but you might want to tell them that there
are 60 minutes in an hour.
--
David Biddulph

"Sam" wrote in message
What is the secret to adding-up time? I have my cells set for [h]:mm
and
when I sum the column the total of wrong. What am I missing?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sam Sam is offline

How are you calculating it? If you do it on a calculator as 8.38+ 12.58, it
= 20.96. Paychex is a Payroll Service.

"Sam" wrote in message
What is the secret to adding-up time? I have my cells set for [h]:mm
and
when I sum the column the total of wrong. What am I missing?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

8:38 is 8 hours and 38 minutes
12:58 is 12 hours and 58 minutes
As I said before, there are 60 minutes in an hour, so if you add those two
durations together you get 21 hours and 36 minutes.

As for the numbers you are putting into your calculator:
8.38 is 8 and 38 hundredths, not 8 and 38 sixtieths
12.58 is 12 and 58 hundredths, not 12 and 58 sixtieths
As you have asked the calculator a different question, it is not surprising
that it has given a different answer.

You need to be careful of the difference between times (with a colon as the
separator between hours and minutes) and numbers with a decimal point.

You will also need to be careful if you use the result of Excel's time
calculation in further calculations and you are looking for numbers of
hours, as Excel's times are actually numbers of days.
--
David Biddulph