Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with Vlookup

I have a worksheet containing 4,000 rows containing customer names in column
A & product detail in Row B.
I have tried to use V look up but get the same results (John & Carrot)
What I need is when the customer has a different product ie. John & Carrot,
Mary & Apple then John & Apple etc.
Customer (text) Product
John carrot
John carrot
Steve carrot
Mary apple
John apple
John Carrot
Mary Carrot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry Mike, I should have explained that I am setting up a analysis template
where the user selects (via drop down menu) customer name (which is the
source for the V look up) and the report is then populate with the results
from the Vlookups.

"gb_S49" wrote:

I have a worksheet containing 4,000 rows containing customer names in column
A & product detail in Row B.
I have tried to use V look up but get the same results (John & Carrot)
What I need is when the customer has a different product ie. John & Carrot,
Mary & Apple then John & Apple etc.
Customer (text) Product
John carrot
John carrot
Steve carrot
Mary apple
John apple
John Carrot
Mary Carrot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
Mike is right. Vlookup is not what you should use
How should it know how many item a selected name will have ? Vlookup is
great if lookup value is unique in the list.

You may want to consider using Advanced Filter and copy results
automatically to another location. You can archive this by combining adv.
filtering and an event macro. You pass selection from dropdown into the
criteria range and trigger filtering by using an event.
All explained well in "Help".

"gb_S49" wrote:

I have a worksheet containing 4,000 rows containing customer names in column
A & product detail in Row B.
I have tried to use V look up but get the same results (John & Carrot)
What I need is when the customer has a different product ie. John & Carrot,
Mary & Apple then John & Apple etc.
Customer (text) Product
John carrot
John carrot
Steve carrot
Mary apple
John apple
John Carrot
Mary Carrot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you. I did consider this but as it is being setup as a template for
users to create 'reports on many customers' (but with them having the ability
to customise the report / data before issue) did not want to use macro or
events.