Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating Monthly Payroll Taxes

I'm looking for help calculating monthly payroll taxes in my budget. For
example, the federal limit for unemployment is $7,000. So once an employee
reaches that limit during the year, that tax ends. So say an employee reaches
the $7K amount in month three, I need to find a formula to calculate the
reamining amount in that month. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chris wrote:
I'm looking for help calculating monthly payroll taxes in my budget. For
example, the federal limit for unemployment is $7,000. So once an employee
reaches that limit during the year, that tax ends. So say an employee reaches
the $7K amount in month three, I need to find a formula to calculate the
reamining amount in that month.

I am not sure exactly what your "input" numbers are and exactly what
you want as a result, but perhaps the following will help.

If A1 contains the cumulative pay up to and including any month, then
the amount subject to FUTA would be:

=min(A1, 7000)

PS: I am simply parroting your use of $7000 as the threshold. I am
not sure that is correct for the current tax year.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:
PS: I am simply parroting your use of $7000 as the threshold. I am
not sure that is correct for the current tax year.

I got curious and checked. It appears that $7000 is indeed still the
threshold for 2007, according to the 2007 IRS Pub 15.