Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Average minutes per mile

I'm a runner, and want to keep track of/work with my times. I want Excel to
tell me what my average time is per mile. So let's say cell b2 is the number
of miles (example, 4.0 miles) and cell c2 is my total time (37 minutes, 41
seconds). I want to know how many minutes per mile I've done. This is
probably really easy -- but Excel thinks I'm entering an actual clock time
(12:37:41 a.m.) vs. just a quantity of minutes/seconds. Can someone help me?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Enter 0:37:41
Time in Excel is stored as a fraction of a day.
So with your distance in B2 and your time in C2:

=B2/(C2*24*60)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"tateh973" wrote in message ...
| I'm a runner, and want to keep track of/work with my times. I want Excel to
| tell me what my average time is per mile. So let's say cell b2 is the number
| of miles (example, 4.0 miles) and cell c2 is my total time (37 minutes, 41
| seconds). I want to know how many minutes per mile I've done. This is
| probably really easy -- but Excel thinks I'm entering an actual clock time
| (12:37:41 a.m.) vs. just a quantity of minutes/seconds. Can someone help me?
| Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Format cell C2 as mm:ss

When you enter this time enter it as 0:37:41. It will show in the cell as
37:41 but in the formula bar it will show as 12:37:41 AM.

Then:

=C2/B2

Result is 09:25

You can format the formula cell as m:ss if you don't want the leading 0,
9:25

Biff

"tateh973" wrote in message
I'm a runner, and want to keep track of/work with my times. I want Excel
tell me what my average time is per mile. So let's say cell b2 is the
number
of miles (example, 4.0 miles) and cell c2 is my total time (37 minutes, 41
seconds). I want to know how many minutes per mile I've done. This is
probably really easy -- but Excel thinks I'm entering an actual clock time
(12:37:41 a.m.) vs. just a quantity of minutes/seconds. Can someone help
me?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your formula for minutes/mile is =C2/B2.
You'll probably want to format the result (and C2) as something like m:ss.
When you enter the time in C2 you may need to do so as 0:37:41 or as 37:41.0
--
David Biddulph

"tateh973" wrote in message
I'm a runner, and want to keep track of/work with my times. I want Excel
tell me what my average time is per mile. So let's say cell b2 is the
number
of miles (example, 4.0 miles) and cell c2 is my total time (37 minutes, 41
seconds). I want to know how many minutes per mile I've done. This is
probably really easy -- but Excel thinks I'm entering an actual clock time
(12:37:41 a.m.) vs. just a quantity of minutes/seconds. Can someone help
me?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
a simple solution would be
b2 number of miles
c2 number of minutes
d2 number of seconds
in d3 convert the seconds to minutes e.g. =d2/60
To work out miles per minute suggest the formulas =b2/(c2+d3)
to work out minutes per mile will be the inverse e.g. =(c2+d3)/b2

this may seem long winded someone else might have a more straighforward
way

On Jan 1, 9:25 pm, tateh973
wrote:
I'm a runner, and want to keep track of/work with my times. I want Excel to
tell me what my average time is per mile. So let's say cell b2 is the number
of miles (example, 4.0 miles) and cell c2 is my total time (37 minutes, 41
seconds). I want to know how many minutes per mile I've done. This is
probably really easy -- but Excel thinks I'm entering an actual clock time
(12:37:41 a.m.) vs. just a quantity of minutes/seconds. Can someone help me?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And format as General or Number, not Time (which is what Excel probably does automatically)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Keep discussions in the newsgroups- no private emails please
"Niek Otten" wrote in message ...
| Enter 0:37:41
| Time in Excel is stored as a fraction of a day.
| So with your distance in B2 and your time in C2:
|
| =B2/(C2*24*60)
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|

| "tateh973" wrote in message ...
|| I'm a runner, and want to keep track of/work with my times. I want Excel to
|| tell me what my average time is per mile. So let's say cell b2 is the number
|| of miles (example, 4.0 miles) and cell c2 is my total time (37 minutes, 41
|| seconds). I want to know how many minutes per mile I've done. This is
|| probably really easy -- but Excel thinks I'm entering an actual clock time
|| (12:37:41 a.m.) vs. just a quantity of minutes/seconds. Can someone help me?
|| Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Right, Biff! I read miles per minute

--

"T. Valko" wrote in message ...
| Format cell C2 as mm:ss
|
| When you enter this time enter it as 0:37:41. It will show in the cell as
| 37:41 but in the formula bar it will show as 12:37:41 AM.
|
| Then:
|
| =C2/B2
|
| Result is 09:25
|
| You can format the formula cell as m:ss if you don't want the leading 0,
| 9:25
|
| Biff
|
| "tateh973" wrote in message
| I'm a runner, and want to keep track of/work with my times. I want Excel
| tell me what my average time is per mile. So let's say cell b2 is the
| number
| of miles (example, 4.0 miles) and cell c2 is my total time (37 minutes, 41
| seconds). I want to know how many minutes per mile I've done. This is
| probably really easy -- but Excel thinks I'm entering an actual clock time
| (12:37:41 a.m.) vs. just a quantity of minutes/seconds. Can someone help
| me?
| Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Enter the time as 0:37:41 in C2 and format as mm:ss

Enter 4 in B2 and format as General

In A2 enter =C2/B2 and format as mm:ss

I get 9 minutes 25 seconds per mile.

Enter 1:12:00 in C2 and I get 18 minutes per mile......my top speed, I might
add.

Gord