Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting Blanks in a list of dates by month

Hi,
I have a spreadsheet set up in the following way

A B C E f
------etc
2 Start Date End Date Apr05 May05 Jun05 Jul05 ----etc
3 1 2 2
2
4 12/03/05 15/05/05
5 15/05/05
6 17/04/05 19/04/05
7 18/04/05

What i want to do is to identify by month a count of any entries that havent
been closed. i though the easiest way would be to check for an entry in the
end date column, if it exists then do nothing.
If there is no entry then, check the start date and add 1 to the count in
each following month upto today().
For some reason however i cannt get it to work it doesnt seem to recognise
"="""

Any help would be appreciated
rgds Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In C2

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($A$2:$A$20)=MONTH(C$1)),--(YEAR($A$2:$A$20)=YEAR(C$1)),--($B$2:$B$20=""))

and copy across

--
---
HTH

Bob

"phocused" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob, worked a dream, thanks, I may need to rethink how i do this however.
Having applied your formula I realised that it records the data as required
however once i enter an end date in B2 all data for the previous months and
zero it. This means i end up with no historic data telling me how many calls
were opened by month.

i'll have a thnk about it. but again

Many thanks for your help.

Rgds Paul

"phocused" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Can anyone help with this? I still think it can be done... I just need some
Genius to show me how:-) Heres the problem, in the question below you will
see what i am trying to acheive.
I want to count by day/month (see Bobs formula) the number of entries that
are still open at the end of each month, in other words the end date is not
set. However when the end date DOES get set, I want to retain the retain the
historcal date. Is there any way to have my pie and eat it?

Ref Start End Jan Feb Mar

12321 23/01/06 1 1 1

then when the end date is added i still want the Jan - Mar data retaining

Ref Start End Jan Feb Mar
Apr May
12321 23/01/06 23/04/06 1 1 1
0 0

At the moment it fills Jan Feb and Mar butr as soon as I add the End date it
Zeros the historical data.

Rgds Paul