Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Bob is offline

Default Data Validation & Dependent Lists

Using the Data Validation - Create Dependent Lists instructions on Debra
Dalgleish's Contextures website as a guide, I set up a parent list (Phase)
and dependent list (Activity). For a given Phase, there are multiple
Activities. For each Activity within a given Phase there is also a
Capitalization Flag (Yes or No).

After a user has selected a Phase (in column A), and then an associated
Activity (in column B), I need a formula in column C that will automatically
display the Capitalization Flag associated with the Activity that was
selected in column B.

Please note that my parent list contains illegal characters (spaces), so I
followed Debras instructions for Using Items with Illegal Characters
(http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html#Illegal).

I would greatly appreciate any help in creating a formula in column C that
will automatically display the Capitalization Flag associated with the
Activity that was selected in column B.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It depends on where the Capitalization Flag information is stored. If
it's in a column to the right of each Activity list, you could use a
Vlookup formula. For example:

=VLOOKUP(D8,OFFSET(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C8," ","")),0,0,,2),2,0)

where the selected activity is in D8 and the Phase is in C8

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Bob is offline

Debra,
Yes, I should have mentioned that the Capitalization Flag information is
stored in a column to the right of each Activity list. So your formula
worked perfectly!
Thanks for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.
Bob

P.S. If you don't mind me saying, your web site is phenomenal! It's the
first Excel-related website that I visit whenever I need help with a feature,
function, or formula. Thanks for being so generous with your expertise.

Bob wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, and thanks for letting me know that the formula worked.

Thanks also for your kind words about the web site, and I'm glad you
find the information useful. A few other people have contributed their
sample files and tutorials there too, which I really appreciate.