Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BCC BCC is offline

Default How do I add data from cells in different worksheets?

I have created an Excel file with a worksheet for each month's expenses. I
would like to have a final worksheet to sum all the different categories.
How do I add cells from multiple worksheets?
Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the totals on each worksheet are in the same cell you can set up a 3D
reference to them on one sheet.

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet10!H34) where H34 on each sheet holds a total for a category
on that sheet.

If the cells are randomly placed on each sheet it becomes more difficult.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:43:01 -0800, BCC wrote:

I have created an Excel file with a worksheet for each month's expenses. I
would like to have a final worksheet to sum all the different categories.
How do I add cells from multiple worksheets?
Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BCC BCC is offline

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the totals of each category are in the same cell
on the different sheets. I just tried your suggestion and I get an error --
the cell reads "#NAME?". Perhaps I should mention that I named the sheets.
Do I need to use the names of the sheets instead of Sheet 1, etc? I tired
this and still get the error. Advice?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

If the totals on each worksheet are in the same cell you can set up a 3D
reference to them on one sheet.

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet10!H34) where H34 on each sheet holds a total for a category
on that sheet.

If the cells are randomly placed on each sheet it becomes more difficult.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:43:01 -0800, BCC wrote:

I have created an Excel file with a worksheet for each month's expenses. I
would like to have a final worksheet to sum all the different categories.
How do I add cells from multiple worksheets?
Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your sheet names have spaces, you must add quotes to the names.

So formula would read =SUM('your sheet:my sheet'!H34)

Try this trick.

Insert a new worksheet at beginning.

Name it Start

Insert a new worksheet at end.

Name it End

Then where you want the formula =SUM(Start:End!H34)

This will SUM H34 on all sheets between Start and End

With this method, you can insert more new sheets between without having to
change the formula.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

If the totals on each worksheet are in the same cell you can set up a 3D
reference to them on one sheet.

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet10!H34) where H34 on each sheet holds a total for a category
on that sheet.

If the cells are randomly placed on each sheet it becomes more difficult.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:43:01 -0800, BCC wrote:

I have created an Excel file with a worksheet for each month's expenses. I
would like to have a final worksheet to sum all the different categories.
How do I add cells from multiple worksheets?
Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear to whom it may concern,

How can I add values from 2 separate worksheets. The values are all located
in different cells on both sheets.

Thank you.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

If the totals on each worksheet are in the same cell you can set up a 3D
reference to them on one sheet.

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet10!H34) where H34 on each sheet holds a total for a category
on that sheet.

If the cells are randomly placed on each sheet it becomes more difficult.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:43:01 -0800, BCC wrote:

I have created an Excel file with a worksheet for each month's expenses. I
would like to have a final worksheet to sum all the different categories.
How do I add cells from multiple worksheets?
Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thank u
extremely good
if u have any other tricks could u please email tome i would be most grateful
gerry