Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Stray file

Dear Experts,
I have an excel file called Level2Sem2_2006.xls. I noticed lately that
there a little file has appeared and called itself _Level2Sem2_2006.xls. It
is only 1kb. When I try to open it the message says that the file is not in
a recognisable format. Does anyone know what it is and why it is there. It
is there even when the file is closed.
kind regards
Martina
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Martina

I suspect it is a corrupt 'backup' of some description, although they
normally have a random name. I would be pretty sure it has no use...try
moving it to another folder so Excel can't find it and if when you open the
original file and all is well delete it

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Martina" wrote in message
Dear Experts,
I have an excel file called Level2Sem2_2006.xls. I noticed lately that
there a little file has appeared and called itself _Level2Sem2_2006.xls.
It
is only 1kb. When I try to open it the message says that the file is not
in
a recognisable format. Does anyone know what it is and why it is there.
It
is there even when the file is closed.
kind regards
Martina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Lots of antivirus programs make files that look strange.

You may want to share the antivirus program you use. Maybe someone who runs
that software, knows if the AV is responsible.

(If you delete it, does it come back?)

Martina wrote:

Dear Experts,
I have an excel file called Level2Sem2_2006.xls. I noticed lately that
there a little file has appeared and called itself _Level2Sem2_2006.xls. It
is only 1kb. When I try to open it the message says that the file is not in
a recognisable format. Does anyone know what it is and why it is there. It
is there even when the file is closed.
kind regards
Martina

--