Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Manual Trend lines

Hi,

I've been trying to generate a graph of sales info and attach a trend
line to it. Due to the style of graph that is required (a very complex
stacked bar with) when I try to use the "Add Trend Line" the trend does
not work.

So what I want to do is manually calculate the values for each x value
so that I can then plot these as a line on the graph.

I can sort out the plotting of the values, but I have no idea how to
calcluate the values. I've read numerous items on trends and as I'm
not a stats person much of it doesn't make sense.

The data I have is:
Month1 5165
Month2 6332
Month3 3060
Month4 5862
Month5 5120
Month6 7518

Thanks

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To generate the 'equation' you will need the x-values to be numeric
1,2,3....
Then look at SLOPE and INTERCEPT function in Help and at LINEST
If you want to fit to a polynomial (power curve) look at
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme