Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Looking up info from chart with multiple catagories How?

I have the need to create a work sheet that allows me to enter 3 different
pieces of inifo, search a chart and select several bits from the chart to
display based on the info provided.

I have a several machines that comes several voltages and I need to find
fuses for them. I would like to be able to enter the model, voltage and
phase and have it look up the appropriate fuse for the machine.

I'm not sure how to arrange the chart or what syntax or formula to use to
get the info. I've used VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP before but never needed multiple
input parameters.

EXAMPLE CHART:

MODEL X

VOLTS...HP...PH...COLOR....FUSE
115.......1......1.....RED........PART A
230.......1......1.....GREEN....PART C
230.......1......3.....YELLOW..PART F
460.......1......3.....BLUE.......PART D

I'd like to be able to select MODEL, HP and PHASE (IE 'model x', 230v, 3 PH)
and have it give me everything on the line as a result. In this case
'230.......1......3.....YELLOW..PART F' on the chart.

I will have over 80 machine types with up to 10 different voltage codes to
have to sort thru.

Whats the easiest way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'd like to be able to select MODEL, HP and PHASE
(IE 'model x', 230v, 3 PH)

But your example shows model, volts and phase.

This isn't too difficult but figure out what crteria you want to base the
lookup on and we'll get you up and running!

Biff

"broderp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the help.
I would like to input Model, Voltage, and Phase. Sorry for the confusion.

The end result is I'd like the information from all categories to be shown.
I'm not sure how to organize the data or what formula(s) I will need to do
this as easily as possible.

Please keep in mind, and table or range would have multiple models numbers
and voltages, the example I gave was for model'x', there are about 75 other
models with thier own chart. The end result is I'm looking to find the
'fuse' part number based on the 3 input criteria.

regards
Raymond

"T. Valko" wrote:

I'd like to be able to select MODEL, HP and PHASE
(IE 'model x', 230v, 3 PH)

But your example shows model, volts and phase.

This isn't too difficult but figure out what crteria you want to base the
lookup on and we'll get you up and running!

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's a sample file:

sample extract.xls 15.5kb

http://cjoint.com/?mhuswKfgeU

The formula (cells in yellow) are array formulas. Select a formula cell and
look in the formula bar. You'll notice the formula is enclosed in squiggly
braces { }. Array formulas are entered using the key combination of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). When done properly Excel will place the
braces around the formula. You cannot just type these braces in. Anytime you
edit these types of formulas you MUST re-enter them as arrays using the key
combo.

Biff

"T. Valko" wrote:

I'd like to be able to select MODEL, HP and PHASE
(IE 'model x', 230v, 3 PH)

But your example shows model, volts and phase.

This isn't too difficult but figure out what crteria you want to base the
lookup on and we'll get you up and running!

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
It's exactly what I was looking for! I will need to tweak it and 'reverse
engineer' the formula so I can duplicate it. I assume this type of array
formula can be used to pick info from various work sheets within an excel
file.

Thank you. I would have never figured it out on my own.

Raymond

"T. Valko" wrote:

I'd like to be able to select MODEL, HP and PHASE
(IE 'model x', 230v, 3 PH)

But your example shows model, volts and phase.

This isn't too difficult but figure out what crteria you want to base the
lookup on and we'll get you up and running!

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, so now you spoiled me....

The example with the drop down boxes, is there an easy way to set that up?
I changed the list to accurately replect my product line, and the top example
where I type in the info manually works like a charm, the pulldown menus
however still just show the original value. How do I edit them?

Sorry for all the questions!

Raymond