Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default link to a cell's contents

The only way I know to do this is to name each cell, then create a link to
that name. Seems from what I read that an auto-filter would allow you to
look up stuff MUCH faster and no maintenance. But then again you probably
tried that.
-John

"bluezcruizer" wrote:

briefly; but that doesn't me any good because it returns information from one
tab and brings it over the the next. It's a price list, so I need a whole
row of data; and that would definitely not work on an index page. There may
be 700 hyperlinks, but each tab has over 4700 rows of data. The hyperlinks
take you to the header of that data.

"CLR" wrote:

Unless I mis-understand, it sounds like the VLOOKUP feature would serve you
better than linking........have you given it any condiseration?

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"bluezcruizer" wrote:

Hi.

I'm hoping you can help me out. I've got a 6-tab spreadsheet acting as a
pricelist, whereas tab one is an index page referencing the other 4 other
tabs on this spreadsheet via hyperlinks to specific cell locations on the
appropriate tabs. This is updated quarterly; about 700 hyperlinks need to be
redone each update.

What I want to do is create a hyperlink that references a specific cell's
contents so I can add or remove data from a tab and still have a hyperlink go
to the group of data it's set to go to before any updating. (IE: tab one,
hyperlink in cell a3 is linked to tab three, cell d15. In 3 months time, an
update causes the data that was in tab three cell d15 to be pushed down to
tab three cell d48.)

This would save me between 6-8 hours of labor each time this needs to be
done, as after the updates are in place I have to re-index the data manually
on those other 4 tabs and then update the existing hyperlinks and add or
remove as necessary otherwise.

2 questions: can this be done, and if so, how would I go about doing it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

yeah; filtering wasn't well received. I'll leave it that. :o)

How do you name a cell and then create a link to that name? I wouldn't mind
going through the work to do that because then it'd be done and I wouldn't
have to do it over and over again.