Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Don is offline

Default Calculating Minutes from and Time Based Calculation

My spreadsheet has two columns with two different times, as follows:

Col A Col B
11:06 12:09

These columns are formatted as Time xx:xx:xx (although I really don't care
about seconds), 24H format. I want column C to show the difference between
column A and column B, in minutes, not hours. My problem is that when I use
a Pivot Table to summarize the sum of column C, as soon as column C 24
hours, it shows 00:10:00 (ie. 24:10:00) and then the sorting in my pivot
table gets all out of whck.

Sorry--I suspect this is simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I put some time values in A and B
In C I use =B2-A2+(A2B2)
In D I enters some 'codes'
Made a Pivot Table with 'codes' as column headers
I use SUM of time but I had to format the Pivot Table cells with Custom
Format [h]:mm to get results in hours & mins (by default I got decimal days)
best wishes - hope I understood the problem
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Don" wrote in message
My spreadsheet has two columns with two different times, as follows:

Col A Col B
11:06 12:09

These columns are formatted as Time xx:xx:xx (although I really don't care
about seconds), 24H format. I want column C to show the difference
between
column A and column B, in minutes, not hours. My problem is that when I
use
a Pivot Table to summarize the sum of column C, as soon as column C 24
hours, it shows 00:10:00 (ie. 24:10:00) and then the sorting in my pivot
table gets all out of whck.

Sorry--I suspect this is simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Don is offline

Thank you, Bernard. That seems to have done the trick

It is interesting, but I have never seen a formula like B2-A2+(A2B2)
before. What does the last part of the formula do (A2B2)? Is that a short
form for the trapping of negative numbers?

Thanks again!

"Don" wrote in message
My spreadsheet has two columns with two different times, as follows:

Col A Col B
11:06 12:09

These columns are formatted as Time xx:xx:xx (although I really don't care
about seconds), 24H format. I want column C to show the difference
between
column A and column B, in minutes, not hours. My problem is that when I
use
a Pivot Table to summarize the sum of column C, as soon as column C 24
hours, it shows 00:10:00 (ie. 24:10:00) and then the sorting in my pivot
table gets all out of whck.

Sorry--I suspect this is simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello Don

In Bernard's formula (A2B2) returns either TRUE or FALSE but when you
perform a mathematical function on TRUE/FALSE you get 1/0

so when A2<=B2 the formula equates to =B2-A2+0 which is the same as B2-A2,
however when A2B2 (i.e. the second time is the next day) then this equates to

=B2-A2+1.

Because 1 = 1 day in Excel this is the equivalent of

=B2-A2+"24:00"

so if for example A2 is 21:00 and B2 05:00 you get

="05:00"-"21:00"+"24:00" = 08:00

Another way to get the same result is

=MOD(B2-A2,1)

"Don" wrote in message
My spreadsheet has two columns with two different times, as follows:

Col A Col B
11:06 12:09

These columns are formatted as Time xx:xx:xx (although I really don't care
about seconds), 24H format. I want column C to show the difference
between
column A and column B, in minutes, not hours. My problem is that when I
use
a Pivot Table to summarize the sum of column C, as soon as column C 24
hours, it shows 00:10:00 (ie. 24:10:00) and then the sorting in my pivot
table gets all out of whck.

Sorry--I suspect this is simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance

Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~L ~L is offline

This reply is a little late, but I wonder if this is what you're looking for:
=mod(b2-a2,1/24)

I didn't put it into a pivot table, so I don't know if it will affect your
sort in the same way, but it seems to output the difference in minutes to
column C.