Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default return the bottom value in a column

I have a worksheet which is updated regularly with a new line, working
from the top down. I would like to find worksheet function which can
return the value in the bottom cell of a column which is not blank, so
that this value can be used in another worksheet.

ie I want to be able to return the most recent value in a column at any
time.

I had hoped there would be a ready-made function for this, but it
appears not.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,F:F) willl fetch the last numeric value in F

=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),B2:B10000) If column B data is of 'text' type, use this

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<""),A1:A65535) will fetch last value, number or text

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:42:05 +0000, anthonyberet wrote:

I have a worksheet which is updated regularly with a new line, working
from the top down. I would like to find worksheet function which can
return the value in the bottom cell of a column which is not blank, so
that this value can be used in another worksheet.

ie I want to be able to return the most recent value in a column at any
time.

I had hoped there would be a ready-made function for this, but it
appears not.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See Bob Phillips' site for explanations of all the functions that can be used to
find last value.

Bob and the late Frank Kabel compiled an extensive list......one of which is the
function in question. Scroll down 2/3 page to find it.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html

They do a much better job than I could ever hope for.

Gord

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:18:19 -1000, "AD108"
wrote:

Hi Gord,

Would you be willing to explain the last one of these three you offered.

Thanks

AD108

.. .

wrote:

I have a worksheet which is updated regularly with a new line, working
from the top down. I would like to find worksheet function which can
return the value in the bottom cell of a column which is not blank, so
that this value can be used in another worksheet.

ie I want to be able to return the most recent value in a column at any
time.

I had hoped there would be a ready-made function for this, but it
appears not.

Any ideas?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gord Dibben wrote:
See Bob Phillips' site for explanations of all the functions that can be used to
find last value.

Bob and the late Frank Kabel compiled an extensive list......one of which is the
function in question. Scroll down 2/3 page to find it.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html

They do a much better job than I could ever hope for.

Thank you very much. It's odd that M$ haven't seen the need for a
worksheet function to do this.