Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formating individual cells

Hi, I am trying to format individual cells to give me a negative answer, can
this be done. Example: 2 + 2 = 4 I need to try and get the answer to become
2 + 2 = -4 any help would be appreciated thanks in anticipation!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming the two cells are in A1 and B1
enter in C1
=-A1-B1

Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"piper" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to format individual cells to give me a negative answer,
can
this be done. Example: 2 + 2 = 4 I need to try and get the answer to
become
2 + 2 = -4 any help would be appreciated thanks in anticipation!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No such luck but thanks what I am trying to achieve is for example in cell
'O'11 I need to place the formula to produce the answer. In cell 'O'6 the
the number I want to multipy the number in cell 'P'10 with this produces an
negative answer and I need to try and get it to produce a positive answer by
somehow getting rid of the minus sign in the answer cell O11. Sum I am doing
is 0.36 x -23.5 = -8.46 need to tyry and get it to become 8.46. ?.

"piper" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to format individual cells to give me a negative answer,
can
this be done. Example: 2 + 2 = 4 I need to try and get the answer to
become
2 + 2 = -4 any help would be appreciated thanks in anticipation!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=ABS(0.36*-23.5)

=ABS(O6*P10)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"piper" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to format individual cells to give me a negative answer,
can
this be done. Example: 2 + 2 = 4 I need to try and get the answer to
become
2 + 2 = -4 any help would be appreciated thanks in anticipation!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

(A1+B1)*-1

"piper" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to format individual cells to give me a negative answer, can
this be done. Example: 2 + 2 = 4 I need to try and get the answer to become
2 + 2 = -4 any help would be appreciated thanks in anticipation!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ABS( ) gives you the absolute value, i.e. the magnitude without the
sign. If you want to force a value to be negative, you can multiply
this by -1, i.e.:

=-1*ABS(whatever)

Hope this helps.

Pete

piper wrote:

what does ABS do/mean? and if I wanted to do the opposite make a positive a
negative can you tel me what needs to be done?

Cheers

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Try:

=ABS(O6*P10)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"piper" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to format individual cells to give me a negative
answer,
can
this be done. Example: 2 + 2 = 4 I need to try and get the answer to
become
2 + 2 = -4 any help would be appreciated thanks in anticipation!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ABS gives you the absolute value of a number, i.e. the number without its
sign. As with virtually any of Excel's worksheet functions you can find
information in Excel's help.

If you want merely to reverse the sign of a calculation (positive to
negative, or nehative to positive), just use a minus sign
=-O6*P10
--
David Biddulph

"piper" wrote in message
what does ABS do/mean? and if I wanted to do the opposite make a positive
negative can you tel me what needs to be done?

Cheers

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Try:

=ABS(O6*P10)