Old November 23rd 06, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Greater than/Less than a certain Time

Hello,

I've got a helper column (column B) with a formula that looks at a
time stamp in column A. I'm trying to get each cell in column B to
say Yes if the time in the adjoining cell in column A is earlier than
3:30 pm, and No if it's later than 3:30 pm. What I currently have is
below, but this returns the error message #NAME?

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<3:30 PM,"yes","no"))

I also tried putting the desired cutoff time in quotes (as below), but
that returns 'no' no matter what time is in the cell.

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<"3:30 PM","yes","no"))

What do I need to change to make this work? Thanks.

Frank

Old November 23rd 06, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What do I need to change to make this work?

A little bit of number type coercion:
=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<(--"3:30 PM"),"yes","no"))

The dbl-negative causes Excel to implicitly convert the text "3:30 PM" into
a time value.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Old November 24th 06, 04:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Formula is OK. Gives 'yes' for times less than 3:30 PM.
Please check if your date cell (K2) is correctly formatted as 'time'.

Joerg

"Phrank" wrote in message
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, that still gives me 'no' even when the time is less
that 3:30 PM.

Frank

Old November 24th 06, 05:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excellent! All works now. Formatting was wrong. Thank you very much
everyone!

Frank

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:31:01 -0800, Teethless mama
wrote:

Try this:

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<--"3:30 PM","yes","no"))