-   -   Greater than/Less than a certain Time (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/119942-greater-than-less-than-certain-time.html)

Phrank

Greater than/Less than a certain Time

Hello,

I've got a helper column (column B) with a formula that looks at a
time stamp in column A. I'm trying to get each cell in column B to
say Yes if the time in the adjoining cell in column A is earlier than
3:30 pm, and No if it's later than 3:30 pm. What I currently have is
below, but this returns the error message #NAME?

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<3:30 PM,"yes","no"))

I also tried putting the desired cutoff time in quotes (as below), but
that returns 'no' no matter what time is in the cell.

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<"3:30 PM","yes","no"))

What do I need to change to make this work? Thanks.

Frank

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Greater than/Less than a certain Time

Hi Frank,

To make this formula work, you need to enclose the time in quotes and use the
Code:

TIME
function to specify the time. Here's the corrected formula:
  1. =IF(K2="","",IF(K2<TIME(15,30,0),"Yes","No"))

This formula checks if the cell in column K is blank. If it is, it returns a blank cell. If it's not blank, it checks if the time in that cell is earlier than 3:30 pm (which is represented by the
Code:

TIME
function with 15 hours and 30 minutes). If it is, it returns "Yes". If it's not, it returns "No".

[email protected]

Greater than/Less than a certain Time

Try:

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<Timevalue("3:30 PM"),"yes","no"))

Regards,
Steve

Phrank wrote:

Hello,

I've got a helper column (column B) with a formula that looks at a
time stamp in column A. I'm trying to get each cell in column B to
say Yes if the time in the adjoining cell in column A is earlier than
3:30 pm, and No if it's later than 3:30 pm. What I currently have is
below, but this returns the error message #NAME?

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<3:30 PM,"yes","no"))

I also tried putting the desired cutoff time in quotes (as below), but
that returns 'no' no matter what time is in the cell.

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<"3:30 PM","yes","no"))

What do I need to change to make this work? Thanks.

Frank

Ron Coderre

Greater than/Less than a certain Time

What do I need to change to make this work?

A little bit of number type coercion:
=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<(--"3:30 PM"),"yes","no"))

The dbl-negative causes Excel to implicitly convert the text "3:30 PM" into
a time value.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Phrank" wrote:

Hello,

I've got a helper column (column B) with a formula that looks at a
time stamp in column A. I'm trying to get each cell in column B to
say Yes if the time in the adjoining cell in column A is earlier than
3:30 pm, and No if it's later than 3:30 pm. What I currently have is
below, but this returns the error message #NAME?

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<3:30 PM,"yes","no"))

I also tried putting the desired cutoff time in quotes (as below), but
that returns 'no' no matter what time is in the cell.

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<"3:30 PM","yes","no"))

What do I need to change to make this work? Thanks.

Frank

Phrank

Greater than/Less than a certain Time

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, that still gives me 'no' even when the time is less
that 3:30 PM.

Frank

Phrank wrote:

Hello,

I've got a helper column (column B) with a formula that looks at a
time stamp in column A. I'm trying to get each cell in column B to
say Yes if the time in the adjoining cell in column A is earlier than
3:30 pm, and No if it's later than 3:30 pm. What I currently have is
below, but this returns the error message #NAME?

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<3:30 PM,"yes","no"))

I also tried putting the desired cutoff time in quotes (as below), but
that returns 'no' no matter what time is in the cell.

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<"3:30 PM","yes","no"))

What do I need to change to make this work? Thanks.

Frank

Teethless mama

Greater than/Less than a certain Time

Try this:

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<--"3:30 PM","yes","no"))

"Phrank" wrote:

Hello,

I've got a helper column (column B) with a formula that looks at a
time stamp in column A. I'm trying to get each cell in column B to
say Yes if the time in the adjoining cell in column A is earlier than
3:30 pm, and No if it's later than 3:30 pm. What I currently have is
below, but this returns the error message #NAME?

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<3:30 PM,"yes","no"))

I also tried putting the desired cutoff time in quotes (as below), but
that returns 'no' no matter what time is in the cell.

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<"3:30 PM","yes","no"))

What do I need to change to make this work? Thanks.

Frank

Joerg

Greater than/Less than a certain Time

Formula is OK. Gives 'yes' for times less than 3:30 PM.
Please check if your date cell (K2) is correctly formatted as 'time'.

Joerg

Phrank wrote:

Hello,

I've got a helper column (column B) with a formula that looks at a
time stamp in column A. I'm trying to get each cell in column B to
say Yes if the time in the adjoining cell in column A is earlier than
3:30 pm, and No if it's later than 3:30 pm. What I currently have is
below, but this returns the error message #NAME?

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<3:30 PM,"yes","no"))

I also tried putting the desired cutoff time in quotes (as below), but
that returns 'no' no matter what time is in the cell.

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<"3:30 PM","yes","no"))

What do I need to change to make this work? Thanks.

Frank

Phrank

Greater than/Less than a certain Time

Excellent! All works now. Formatting was wrong. Thank you very much
everyone!

Frank

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:31:01 -0800, Teethless mama
wrote:

Try this:

=IF(K2="","",IF(K2<--"3:30 PM","yes","no"))