Old November 18th 06, 10:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I have excel convert fractions to decimals?

I am trying to convert fractions to decimals

Old November 18th 06, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you give examples of how you need to deal with the fractions?
Are you typing them?
Are they in data that was imported?
Are you referring to them in another cell?

What have you tried?
What were you hoping for?
What were the actual results?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Old November 18th 06, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

If the cell is formatted as fraction, just FormatCellsGeneral
or if you want to retain both, assuming the fraction is in A1 then in
another cell =A1 and format that cell as General.

If the fraction has been entered as text in a cell then
=LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)
--
Regards

Roger Govier

Old November 18th 06, 11:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am typing in measuments of packages - i.e. 16 3/8 X 5 1/8, I want excel to
convert to decimal. I have tried format cells, and convert, neither have
this option available.

Old November 18th 06, 11:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Having seen your example, I would modify your entry so that you put the
first measurement in A1 and the second in B1 then modify my original
posting to
=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,find("/",A1),1)/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)
&" x " &
MID(B1,FIND(" ",B1)+1,find("/",B1),1)/MID(B1,FIND("/",B1)+1,255)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

Old November 18th 06, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, I missed out the leading integers.

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) &"."& MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,find("/",A1),1)
/MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)
&" x " &
LEFT(B1,FIND(" ",B1)-1) &"."&MID(B1,FIND(" ",B1)+1,find("/",B1),1)
/MID(B1,FIND("/",B1)+1,255)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

Old November 19th 06, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps one of these:

Using
A1: 16 3/8 X 5 1/8

Translated to decimal:
B1: =(--TRIM(LEFT(A1,SEARCH("X",A1)-1)))&" X
"&(--TRIM(MID(A1,SEARCH("X",A1)+1,255)))
returns 16.375 X 5.125

Or...
B1: =--TRIM(LEFT(A1,SEARCH("X",A1)-1))
returns 16.375

B2: =--TRIM(MID(A1,SEARCH("X",A1)+1,255))
returns 5.125

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Old November 19th 06, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger and Ron,

I learn a couple of things. Thanks. I was hoping that Text to Column could do some magic. But no luck.

The best it can do is to split 16 3/8 X 5 1/8 in A1 into

A1: 16 3/8
B1: 5 1/8

After formatting to general

A1: 16.375
B1: 5.125

C1: =A1&" X "&B1 returns 16.375 X 5.125

You know I had this "crazy" idea that there might be some hidden features in Text to Column that would convert 16 3/8 X 5 1/8 to 16.375 X 5.125 in one shot. I guess no other features will do this either. I am over imaginative.

By the way, I really like the fact that the double unary coerces the fraction to decimal.

Thanks for listening.

Epinn

Old November 19th 06, 05:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Text to Column only works when there is an integer to the left of the fraction, e.g. 11 1/4.
If it is a fraction on its own, say 1/4, Text to Column will treat it as a date.

Wonder if there is a way to get around this.

Epinn

Old November 19th 06, 06:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's another option

With
A1: 16 3/8 X 5 1/8

Then
1)Format cellls A1 and B1 as Category: Number

2)<data<text-to-columns
Delimited
Check: Other and use: X
Click the [finish] button

A1 becomes 16.375
B1: becomes 5.125
(the type coercions are automatic when the number format is NOT General)

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP