Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Summing & Tallying-up

I have a worksheet containing three columns of data representing a list of
materials and quantities. The first column contains a Part Number, the second
column is a Part Number Name, and the third column is Quantity. Part Numbers
(and their associated names) repeat through out this listing.

I need to query the worksheet to determine what the total quantity of each
Part Number is, and on a second worksheet display in 3 columns; Part Number;
Part Number Name; and Total Quantity (where Total Quantity equally the sum of
all the same Part Number quantities). On the second worksheet only one
instance of each Part Number & Part Number Name should appear.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try using a pivot table... Place your cursos in the middle fo the data and
Select Data - Pivot Table from the menu. A wizard will pop up... (you can
usually just select finish and it iwll make all of the correct guesses for
you). Drag the Part number and name fields to the left column and the
quantities to the middle... That should do it...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Mike" wrote:

I have a worksheet containing three columns of data representing a list of
materials and quantities. The first column contains a Part Number, the second
column is a Part Number Name, and the third column is Quantity. Part Numbers
(and their associated names) repeat through out this listing.

I need to query the worksheet to determine what the total quantity of each
Part Number is, and on a second worksheet display in 3 columns; Part Number;
Part Number Name; and Total Quantity (where Total Quantity equally the sum of
all the same Part Number quantities). On the second worksheet only one
instance of each Part Number & Part Number Name should appear.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In Cell C2 of Sheet2 enter

=SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100=Sheet2!A2)*(Sheet1 !$B$2:$B$100=Sheet2!B2)*(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$100))
<< all in one cell and copy down

: