Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need something more than Conditional Formatting

Having a shocker today guys, got questions all over the place.
(Excel 2003) In my spreadsheet I have to use traffic light colours to show
if certain data is either good, okay or needs attention. This would generally
be fine as I could use conditional formatting but my supervisor wants to
also, along with the colours, put up, down and sideways arrows in the in the
coloured cells. Can anyone advise me on how I can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could format a cell (D2 in this example) with Wingdings font, and
enter a formula similar to the following:

=IF(C2<C1,CHAR(234),IF(C2C1,CHAR(233),CHAR(232)))

In Wingdings font, 234 is a down arrow, 233 is an up arrow, and 232 is a
sideways arrow.

Select the cell and format with green font.
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Cell Value Is
In the next dropdown, choose 'equal to'
In the formula box, hold the Alt key and on the
number keypad, type: 0234
Click Format, and choose Red as the font colour
Click OK, click Add
From the first dropdown, choose Cell Value Is
In the next dropdown, choose 'equal to'
In the formula box, hold the Alt key and on the
number keypad, type: 0232
Click Format, and choose Yellow as the font colour
Click OK, click OK

Copy the formula down to the last row of data

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The conditional formatting feature allows you to change more than one cell
aspect at the same time. You can change cell font colour at the same time as
the cell interior colour when a CF condtion is met.

Suggested is that you convert the cell's font to Marlett . The numbers 3, 4,
5, and 6 in Marlett will appear as left, right, up and down arrows (actually
triangles) repectively. Set the font colour of these cells to be the same as
the cell interior colour in order to hide them. You will need to adjust the
font size and center the alignment as well.

Use the conditional formatting feature to simultaneously change the cell
interior colour (red, green, yellow) and font colour (say to black). The
cells should also contain a formula that returns either 3, 4, 5 or 6 so that
they respond in concert with the CF formulae. Simple example:
=IF(B$3420, 3, IF(B$3410, 4, IF(B$34 0, 5, "")))

You can also investigate other font, eg. Webdings, Wingdings, Wingdings2,
Wingdings3 for other graphic options. You might be interested in pointing
finger graphics instead.

To view all the graphics available for the different fonts:
1. Enter "=Char(Row())" in cell A1.
2. Drag the formula down to cell A255.
3. Fomat the range in turn with each of the above fonts.

Regards,
Greg

"Lynda" wrote:

Having a shocker today guys, got questions all over the place.
(Excel 2003) In my spreadsheet I have to use traffic light colours to show
if certain data is either good, okay or needs attention. This would generally
be fine as I could use conditional formatting but my supervisor wants to
also, along with the colours, put up, down and sideways arrows in the in the
coloured cells. Can anyone advise me on how I can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wait for Excel 2007?

In an adjacent cell you could use one of the "symbol" fonts like Wingdings
and insert a directional arrow based on a cells value. For example:

A1 = 10

Formula in B1 to display an up arrow if A1 5. B1 formatted as Wingdings 3:

=IF(A15,CHAR(219),"")

Other than that, I got nothin!

Biff