Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP with IF function

I have used the VLookup function on an invoice that will print the price and
description of an item when the item number is typed in. I want to removed
the #N/A from the invoice when the lines are blank. I was told to use the IF
function.

My lookup function is =VLOOKUP(A24,Product!A8:D14,2)

If I add the IF function to it-- would it look like

=IF(A24="","")=VLOOKUP(A24,Product!A8:D14,2) ?

Or just where would the IF formula go and did I type it correctly to say if
the cell is empty?

Thanks
Bev

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(ISERR(putyourvlookuphere)=TRUE,"",putyourvlook uphere)

It could look something like I have above. It will check to see if the
result is an error #N/A included I believe, if it is it will put in a blank,
if not it will put the actual result of the vlookup.

"Bev Greene" wrote:

I have used the VLookup function on an invoice that will print the price and
description of an item when the item number is typed in. I want to removed
the #N/A from the invoice when the lines are blank. I was told to use the IF
function.

My lookup function is =VLOOKUP(A24,Product!A8:D14,2)

If I add the IF function to it-- would it look like

=IF(A24="","")=VLOOKUP(A24,Product!A8:D14,2) ?

Or just where would the IF formula go and did I type it correctly to say if
the cell is empty?

Thanks
Bev

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ISERR excludes #N/A.

ISERROR handles all of the error types.

=IF(ISERR(putyourvlookuphere)=TRUE,"",putyourvlook uphere)

Since the ISERR(OR) function returns a boolean, either TRUE or FALSE,
there's no need for an equality comparison:

ISERR(putyourvlookuphere)=TRUE

ISERR(putyourvlookuphere) will do.

Biff

"Bev Greene" wrote:

I have used the VLookup function on an invoice that will print the price
and
description of an item when the item number is typed in. I want to
removed
the #N/A from the invoice when the lines are blank. I was told to use the
IF
function.

My lookup function is =VLOOKUP(A24,Product!A8:D14,2)

If I add the IF function to it-- would it look like

=IF(A24="","")=VLOOKUP(A24,Product!A8:D14,2) ?

Or just where would the IF formula go and did I type it correctly to say
if
the cell is empty?

Thanks
Bev

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rml rml is offline

just thinking...does each of your invoice spreadsheet needs to be saved each
time you create one with a served invoice number ? If you do, better clean
the non-servable formula....Just try to maintain a template filled with the
formula for your next invoicing....