Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
zatomics

Default Pastable function using VLOOKUP?

This is my problem:

I have a spreadsheet with three separate cells, call them A, B, and C,
that I am using for inputs. These three input values create a table of
numbers, and using VLOOKUP, I check for the first occurance of a
particular number and have that as my output in another cell, say D.
What I'd like to do is (given a constant value for C) create a table of
VLOOKUP outputs, with A and B being the table's indices. To clarify:
right now all I can do is type in the three inputs manually, and then
enter the output into the table. This is VERY TEDIOUS. What I'd like to
do is somehow make a function which takes the three inputs, calculates
the output, and puts it in that cell, just like any other function. I
could then paste this function into every cell of the table, and the
outputs would appear there. The problem is that the table of numbers
has to be generated to calculate the output, so I can't imagine how a
function could do that. Please help - this is very important

--
zatomics
zatomics's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34688

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Here's one longshot guess ..

Try this response: http://tinyurl.com/lch3h
which provides a simple example for a 2 variable data table
(created via the "Data Table" menu)

A data table can output what-if scenarios,
but only up to a max of 2 input variables
(the 2 input variables can be your A and B)

The sample construct in the thread is still available at:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1931667
2 variable data table example.xls

--
Max