Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default n00b Q - Regarding the inner workings of pivottables

Hello all,

I just want to make sure, before I sink too many more hours into the
UDF Im writing right now, that I have an accurate understanding of
Pivottables.

Am I correct in thinking that a Pivottable effectively caches data by
right click-refreshing? So that, if I were to update or shift around
the underlying data reference table, but not refresh the pivottable,
the original contents of the pivottable would be untouched?

I need to know this as I am writing a function that requires that the
data be in a certain order before the calculation is made. If the
pivottable is played with, I dont want there to be innaccurate results
due to 'shuffling' and incorrect references.

Thanks for the insight
-S

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assume you have a pivot table and then you modify its underlying table, by,
say, adding five rows.

The pivot table itself will not change in appearance or layout until you hit
the refresh icon (the red exclamation mark).

Does that answer your question?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.