Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default multiple column comparison on 2 worksheets

Hello (again :D),

I need to compare text on 2 columns on two different worksheets.

here's some sample data:

Name Application
G.Anderson VB6
G.Anderson Team Spirit
B.Jones MapManager/Editor
A.Smith Groupwise 5.5
etc

The data is similar on the other worksheet. I need to compare to see
(assuming Name is column A and Application is column B) if A1 and B1 in
worksheet 1 appear at all in worksheet 2 and so on for about 600
records. I am able to compare one column but not sure how to expand it
to two using:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$501, Sheet2!$A$2:$A$501, 1, 0)),
"Unique", "Duplicate")

any help would be most greatly appreciated,

Clive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok I have sort of solved this problem and thought I would share the
love so to speak. What I did eventually was merge the 2 datain the
columns in worksheet1 in the next column using something like
=A2&" "&B2
if you don't want spaces use =A2&B2
I did the same on the worksheet two and then used this formula to look
for duplicates
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet4!$C$2:$C$14,1,0)),"no match", "match")

hope this helps others.