Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Automatic Calculation Turns Off Intermittently

I've got an xls file which when open randomly turns automatic calculation
off. Most times on most computers, there isn't a problem. But when it
happens it confuses the heck out of everybody!

Has anyone run into this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ToolsOptionsCalculation can be Auto or Manual.

Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
workbook opened in that session.

i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
mode would be in Manual.

If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

Confusing enough? <g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:51:02 -0800, espresso
wrote:

I've got an xls file which when open randomly turns automatic calculation
off. Most times on most computers, there isn't a problem. But when it
happens it confuses the heck out of everybody!

Has anyone run into this problem?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Gord.

Ever see it "lose" calculation when only one excel file is open? I know it
sounds weird, but I've seen it happen! Am I seeing things?!

wrote:

I've got an xls file which when open randomly turns automatic calculation
off. Most times on most computers, there isn't a problem. But when it
happens it confuses the heck out of everybody!

Has anyone run into this problem?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I can't recall a single workbook changing calc mode after being opened but
anything is possible.

Do you have any macros running that might cause the switch?

Gord

wrote:

I've got an xls file which when open randomly turns automatic calculation
off. Most times on most computers, there isn't a problem. But when it
happens it confuses the heck out of everybody!

Has anyone run into this problem?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

nope, no macros. In fact, I was thinking about writing a macro to make sure
that it is enabled, but people hate to enable macros when you send them an
xls.

Any chance it's machine specific? I haven't had it happen to me, but I've
seen it on the boss' PC when nothing else except Outlook was open.

wrote:

I've got an xls file which when open randomly turns automatic calculation
off. Most times on most computers, there isn't a problem. But when it
happens it confuses the heck out of everybody!

Has anyone run into this problem?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I ran into this kind of an issue once myself, of my own causing, of
course. I had an add-in to query remote data that needed to run in
manual mode. A few workbooks were open one day and all got saved in
manual mode, and then it sort of started acting like a virus... you'd
open one in manual mode, open another and save it... it was ugly.

I ended up putting a class module in my personal.xls to monitor
application calculation so that I could get them all without being
surprised by it.

Might be something to consider for the users who are complaining...

Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
www.excelguru.ca