Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default NEWSGROUP QUESTION URGENT

I just updated my folder for this newsgroup. One letter contains
1,937,899,514 lines!

Who has overall control of the newsgroup and can delete it? It keeps
crashing my News Folder.

Jonah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jonah wrote:
I just updated my folder for this newsgroup. One letter contains
1,937,899,514 lines!
Who has overall control of the newsgroup and can delete it? It keeps
crashing my News Folder.

First, there is no central control of newsgroup content. It depends on
what news server you use. That may or may not be your ISP, depending
on how you access the newsgroup.

Second, if you "updated your folder", I suspect that you are pulling
the news articles to a local disk. In that case, the problem might be
at your end. The application that you use to pull news articles to
your local disk might be misinterpreting the stream of data and
concatenating news articles. Alternatively, the concatenation problem
might be with software on the news server.

Finally, unfortunately such large news articles are possible, although
many news servers refuse to archive them. Such large news articles can
be created by including binary attachments -- such as xls files. These
are translated into an ASCII (character) encoding, which gives the
illusion of "lines" and which expands the size of the attachment even
more.

Suggestion: You might be able to exclude the article (or the author or
the subject) at your end by using a filter, if such a feature is
provided by your newsreader. It might be called a "kill file" or "kill
filter". Check your Help pages for any possible information.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jonah

Which news reader are you using?

Looks like Mozilla.

Doesn't it have a limiter on the size of messages downlaoded?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:19:40 GMT, Jonah
wrote:

I just updated my folder for this newsgroup. One letter contains
1,937,899,514 lines!

Who has overall control of the newsgroup and can delete it? It keeps
crashing my News Folder.

Jonah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default NEWSGROUP QUESTION Now non URGENT

Its all very odd indeed. I closed my Netscape (Mozilla based) browser and
after the third occasion it all seems to have gone back to normal. It has
a limiter of 50k. Very odd. Hope I have not wasted too much valuable
time. It has happened before. It was a long while ago though, over two
years in fact. I never did find out why it happened.

Jonah
-------

wrote:

I just updated my folder for this newsgroup. One letter contains
1,937,899,514 lines!

Who has overall control of the newsgroup and can delete it? It keeps
crashing my News Folder.

Jonah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Suggestion: You might be able to exclude the article (or the author or
the subject) at your end by using a filter

IOW - blackball Bob. <g

" wrote:

Jonah wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"JMB" wrote in message
Suggestion: You might be able to exclude the article (or the author or
the subject) at your end by using a filter

IOW - blackball Bob. <g

That seems harsh IMO.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

I thought so too - I was just reading in between the lines.

I'm only kidding, I would never seriously suggest anyone do that. In fact,
I include your posts on my personal list of recommended reading.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"JMB" wrote in message
Suggestion: You might be able to exclude the article (or the author or
the subject) at your end by using a filter

IOW - blackball Bob. <g

That seems harsh IMO.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See, that's what you get for being so long winded.
<G
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software