Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default excell search function

I have a set of values and want to create a list of unique values from that
list for a summary.
Ex. List = 1,2,3,2,3
I need column A to return the 1,2,3 because they are unique values. Then i
use column B for CountIF using Column A as a reference. I can get the
CountIF function correct, but i do not know how to search my list and return
the references to Column A.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is there a reason you wouldn't just use a Pivot Table to automatically
identify the unique values and calculate the counts for you?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"joshuabrown97" wrote:

I have a set of values and want to create a list of unique values from that
list for a summary.
Ex. List = 1,2,3,2,3
I need column A to return the 1,2,3 because they are unique values. Then i
use column B for CountIF using Column A as a reference. I can get the
CountIF function correct, but i do not know how to search my list and return
the references to Column A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Pivot Tables are good to work with, however, I have to admit I have little
experience with them. Also, the individuals who will be adding to these
tables are not experienced with Pivot Tables ,therefore i need to allow for
continuous updating without my supervision.

"joshuabrown97" wrote:

I have a set of values and want to create a list of unique values from that
list for a summary.
Ex. List = 1,2,3,2,3
I need column A to return the 1,2,3 because they are unique values. Then i
use column B for CountIF using Column A as a reference. I can get the
CountIF function correct, but i do not know how to search my list and return
the references to Column A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's an approach that might be worth pursuing:

If the source data range for the Pivot Table could automatically expand and
contract to accommodate changes in the data, that would resolve most of your
concerns, right?

See Debra Dalgleish's website for instructions on creating a Dynamic Data
Source (no programming):

Then all your users have to do is refresh the Pivot Tables.
Alternatively, you could even have the PT refresh automatically whenever the
file is opened.

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron