Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting cells with multiple data

Hi folks,

I'm tracking game data for a few players and am running into a problem. On
doing a web query, column D will show the following data below. Here are
four cells of those 50. I'm trying to count the # of 1st, # of 2nd & # of
3rds.

I've used countif, count a, and several other formulas and get a 0 result.

I know it's probably a very simple formula, but I'm stumped.

3rd of 8
2nd of 8
1st of 6
3rd of 5
3rd of 11

Thanks for any help.

Thanks, Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

Try this:

A1 = 3rd of 8
A2 = 2nd of 8
A3 = 1st of 6
A4 = 3rd of 5
A5 = 3rd of 11

C1 = 1st
C2 = 2nd
C3 = 3rd

Formula in D1 copied down:

=COUNTIF(A$1:A$5,C1&"*")

Biff

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
k.net...
Hi folks,

I'm tracking game data for a few players and am running into a problem. On
doing a web query, column D will show the following data below. Here are
four cells of those 50. I'm trying to count the # of 1st, # of 2nd & # of
3rds.

I've used countif, count a, and several other formulas and get a 0 result.

I know it's probably a very simple formula, but I'm stumped.

3rd of 8
2nd of 8
1st of 6
3rd of 5
3rd of 11

Thanks for any help.

Thanks, Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the reply Biff. I figured it out this morning before opening up
your post, by reading another post here that discusses using the "*". :)

Bob

"Biff" wrote in message
Hi!

Try this:

A1 = 3rd of 8
A2 = 2nd of 8
A3 = 1st of 6
A4 = 3rd of 5
A5 = 3rd of 11

C1 = 1st
C2 = 2nd
C3 = 3rd

Formula in D1 copied down:

=COUNTIF(A$1:A$5,C1&"*")

Biff

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
k.net...
Hi folks,

I'm tracking game data for a few players and am running into a problem.
On doing a web query, column D will show the following data below. Here
are four cells of those 50. I'm trying to count the # of 1st, # of 2nd &
# of 3rds.

I've used countif, count a, and several other formulas and get a 0
result.

I know it's probably a very simple formula, but I'm stumped.

3rd of 8
2nd of 8
1st of 6
3rd of 5
3rd of 11

Thanks for any help.

Thanks, Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome!

Biff

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
.net...
Thanks for the reply Biff. I figured it out this morning before opening up
your post, by reading another post here that discusses using the "*". :)

Bob

"Biff" wrote in message
Hi!

Try this: