Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default "Magic" Formula

I have several cells on a worksheet that "magically" create a formula when I
enter data into the cell. I've deleted the contents of the cell, assigned a
variety of formats, etc, to no avail. But, if I copy the contents of another
cell and paste it into these cells things work just fine. Totally confused.
Thanks in advance for help
--
Bill Gable
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don:

WHile I am not familiar with you're suggestion, when I foolow your
instructions I open a VB page that contains no code
--
Bill Gable

"Don Guillett" wrote:

right click on the worksheet tabview code to see if there is a
worksheet_change event.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Big Dog" wrote in message
I have several cells on a worksheet that "magically" create a formula when
enter data into the cell. I've deleted the contents of the cell, assigned
variety of formats, etc, to no avail. But, if I copy the contents of
another
cell and paste it into these cells things work just fine. Totally
confused.
Thanks in advance for help
--
Bill Gable

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Prior to entering anything, the cell is blank and formatted as General, and
nothing shows in the formula bar. I enter the following "11/21/2000", and
the cell displays "0.0002619" and the formual bar displays "=11/21/2000"
--
Bill Gable

"PCLIVE" wrote:

How about an example of what is entered in the cell, and what formula is
magically created.

"Big Dog" wrote in message
there isn't any code in the large right-hand panel either
--
Bill Gable

"Don Guillett" wrote:

OK. Now look in the ThisWorkbook module to see if there is code there
that
is doing it.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Big Dog" wrote in message
I have several cells on a worksheet that "magically" create a formula
when
enter data into the cell. I've deleted the contents of the cell,
assigned
variety of formats, etc, to no avail. But, if I copy the contents
of
another
cell and paste it into these cells things work just fine. Totally
confused.
Thanks in advance for help
--
Bill Gable

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Don't enter the = sign
=11/21/2000 is telling Excel to divide 11 by 21 then divide that by
2000 and it quite correctly shows the result as 0.0002619
If your Regional settings are for mm/dd/yyyy than entering 11/21/2000
will give you a date of 21 Nov 2000 but if the cell is formatted
General that will be shown as 36851 being the number of days after Jan
00 1900.

Format the cell with your preferred date format, and all should be well.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Big Dog" wrote in message
I have several cells on a worksheet that "magically" create a
formula
when
enter data into the cell. I've deleted the contents of the
cell,
assigned
variety of formats, etc, to no avail. But, if I copy the
contents
of
another
cell and paste it into these cells things work just fine.
Totally
confused.
Thanks in advance for help
--
Bill Gable

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger:

If you look closely at my previous response, you'll see that I AM NOT
entering the "=" sign - I'm just entering the date and Excel is entering the
"="
--
Bill Gable

"Big Dog" wrote in message
I have several cells on a worksheet that "magically" create a
formula
when
enter data into the cell. I've deleted the contents of the
cell,
assigned
variety of formats, etc, to no avail. But, if I copy the
contents
of
another
cell and paste it into these cells things work just fine.
Totally
confused.
Thanks in advance for help
--
Bill Gable

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Paul: thanks, that did it. Never even knew that checkbox existed, let alone
understand what it does. Since I created this spreadsheet from a query in
Access, do you know if that process turns on this option or somehow has
something to do with this?

Thanks again!
--
Bill Gable