Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What is this symbol?

Hi, Trying to copy a formula that includes this symbol "^-", Can someone tell
me what it is, and where to find in on the keyboard or in symbols?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shift 6 is ^

Generally used as "To the power of", ie 2^3 is 8

Steve

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:40:02 +0100, Steve B
wrote:

Hi, Trying to copy a formula that includes this symbol "^-", Can someone
tell
me what it is, and where to find in on the keyboard or in symbols?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think the OP means the Tilde character "~"

Start Programs Accessories System Tools Character Map
and type "tilde" in the "Search for" box.

wrote:

Hi, Trying to copy a formula that includes this symbol "^-", Can someone
tell
me what it is, and where to find in on the keyboard or in symbols?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You post shows ^-

Is this correct or is it just ^

It is a "caret" and can be entered by hitting SHIFT + 6 key.

Most often used as an exponential sign.

=4^2 returns 16..........4*4

=4^3 returns 64..........4*4*4

To add the - sign..............

=4^-2 returns .0625

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:40:02 -0700, Steve B
wrote:

Hi, Trying to copy a formula that includes this symbol "^-", Can someone tell
me what it is, and where to find in on the keyboard or in symbols?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Good point..........

How did OP type it into the post if could not find it?

Gord

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:39:58 +0100, "Stephen Bye"
wrote:

I think it's meant to be a tilde, because if the OP can type ^ in the posted
message, surely they can type the same character in Excel :)

.. .

wrote:

Hi, Trying to copy a formula that includes this symbol "^-", Can someone
tell
me what it is, and where to find in on the keyboard or in symbols?

Thanks!

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Dave

Maybe copied it from the worksheet on which it resides in the formula?

wrote:

Hi, Trying to copy a formula that includes this symbol "^-", Can someone
tell
me what it is, and where to find in on the keyboard or in symbols?

Thanks!

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If it's from a cell in a worksheet, then Chip's CellView addin would help:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

I couldn't tell what it was, but my first guess is that it looked like it was
the "not symbol" that was used in many mainframe terminals (^ on today's
keyboard).

Maybe it's the same as ^, but just a different font?

wrote:

Hi, Trying to copy a formula that includes this symbol "^-", Can someone
tell
me what it is, and where to find in on the keyboard or in symbols?

Thanks!

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks All,

Yes, I copied it from the formula. From your input I believe it is the ^ and
-, which was not apparent from looking at it, it appeared to be one symbol.

Regards,