Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default OTHER EXCEL FUNCTION COUNTER SOLUTION ?

IN REFERENCE TO A SUGGESTION THREAD TITLED "Excel 2003 SP2 computes the power
of a negative number wrong", I kindly request your help to reestablished
confidence on engineer´s excel workbooks:
I NEED A FIND/REPLACE COMMAND FORMULA....
e.g.
=-A1^(A2+A3)
BASED FROM ABOVE :
I LIKE TO FIND ALL THE ABOVE AND REPLACE it with
=-1*A1^(A2+A3)
REGARDLESS WHETHER A1 IS A CELL REFEFRENCE OR A VALUE (2,3,4,....)...I HOPE
YOU GET MY REASON WHEN THE POWER IS AN EVEN NUMBER....
thanks and more power.....

--
"Bright minds are blessed to those who share them.."-rsb.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

or to replace it with original structured formula
=-POWER(A1,(A2+A3))
I HOPE THAT ANY $ SIGN ON FIX CELL REF WILL NOT CHANGE.
THANKS AGAIN
--

"romelsb" wrote:

IN REFERENCE TO A SUGGESTION THREAD TITLED "Excel 2003 SP2 computes the power
of a negative number wrong", I kindly request your help to reestablished
confidence on engineer´s excel workbooks:
I NEED A FIND/REPLACE COMMAND FORMULA....
e.g.
=-A1^(A2+A3)
BASED FROM ABOVE :
I LIKE TO FIND ALL THE ABOVE AND REPLACE it with
=-1*A1^(A2+A3)
REGARDLESS WHETHER A1 IS A CELL REFEFRENCE OR A VALUE (2,3,4,....)...I HOPE
YOU GET MY REASON WHEN THE POWER IS AN EVEN NUMBER....
thanks and more power.....

--
"Bright minds are blessed to those who share them.."-rsb.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Frankly, what you want to do is not easy, and you don't really have a need
for a solution, do you ?
If so, don't loose any time on this, it is not worth it.
Whomever is creating formulas in Excel should check their behavior before
"publishing" them (testing is part of designing).

That old peculiarity of Excel bombs out a few times a year on the web.

It's been around forever ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q132686/ ) and it
won't be changed anytime soon, if ever.

It is not a bug, just a different syntax interpretation than what is usually
expected.
But Excel is following precise and predictable rules in its syntax
interpretation, so I don't see this as such a big deal...

We all learned to live with it...

So no, Excel is not "computing the power of a negative number wrong", it
simply has bad reading discipline...

Luc.

"Festina Lente"

"romelsb" wrote:

IN REFERENCE TO A SUGGESTION THREAD TITLED "Excel 2003 SP2 computes the power
of a negative number wrong", I kindly request your help to reestablished
confidence on engineer´s excel workbooks:
I NEED A FIND/REPLACE COMMAND FORMULA....
e.g.
=-A1^(A2+A3)
BASED FROM ABOVE :
I LIKE TO FIND ALL THE ABOVE AND REPLACE it with
=-1*A1^(A2+A3)
REGARDLESS WHETHER A1 IS A CELL REFEFRENCE OR A VALUE (2,3,4,....)...I HOPE
YOU GET MY REASON WHEN THE POWER IS AN EVEN NUMBER....
thanks and more power.....

--
"Bright minds are blessed to those who share them.."-rsb.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i just need to make sure that all my previous workbook can catch up....i did
type the formulas with bunch of power shortcut....anyway try this chart
sample to show you that my reference charts made before shall require
updating....
NUMBER
on A1 : =-2
POWER
From B1 : = 2
TO B6 : = 7

=-N^X

FROM C1 : = -$A$1^$B1
TO C6 : =-$A$1^$B6

FROM D1 : = -POWER($A$1,$B1)
TO D6 : =--POWER($A$1,$B6)

SEE A CHART CURVE FOR RANGE B1:D6 :

ITS TRUE....

PLEASE HELP....

--

"romelsb" wrote:

IN REFERENCE TO A SUGGESTION THREAD TITLED "Excel 2003 SP2 computes the power
of a negative number wrong", I kindly request your help to reestablished
confidence on engineer´s excel workbooks:
I NEED A FIND/REPLACE COMMAND FORMULA....
e.g.
=-A1^(A2+A3)
BASED FROM ABOVE :
I LIKE TO FIND ALL THE ABOVE AND REPLACE it with
=-1*A1^(A2+A3)
REGARDLESS WHETHER A1 IS A CELL REFEFRENCE OR A VALUE (2,3,4,....)...I HOPE
YOU GET MY REASON WHEN THE POWER IS AN EVEN NUMBER....
thanks and more power.....

--
"Bright minds are blessed to those who share them.."-rsb.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

romelsb wrote...
. . . I kindly request your help to reestablished
confidence on engineer´s excel workbooks:
I NEED A FIND/REPLACE COMMAND FORMULA....
e.g.
=-A1^(A2+A3)
BASED FROM ABOVE :
I LIKE TO FIND ALL THE ABOVE AND REPLACE it with
=-1*A1^(A2+A3)

You could try the following 3-step find/replace process.

1. Select all cells containing formulas.
2. Replace all - with -1* .
3. Replace all ^-1~* with ^- .

The 3rd step unfubars exponents because even bodmas doesn't like
changing x^-2 to x^-1*2. Of course that means you won't fix things like
x^-y^-z.

The alternative task of changing all -x^y to -POWER(x,y) requires the
equivalent of a formula parser. Not trivial. Requires VBA or similar
programming.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I still don't get it.
What makes you so sure you want or need those changes.

Are you the one who created those workbooks ?
Are you sure the "new" behaviour is the one you want in every situation ?
Your workbooks were never tested for acuracy ?

We are not talking about a way to get around a bug here, we are talking
about interpretation of the syntax. Making formula changes blindly could have
serious effects, not automatically good ones...
Luc.

"Festina Lente"

"romelsb" wrote:

thanks Harlan....you got a big deal of solution....if i can just click the
check bottun a 10 times I´ll do it...hope others think the way you did....
--
"Bright minds are blessed to those who share them.."-rsb.

romelsb wrote...