Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What is evaluate formula?

Is this a command name in Excel?
What is its function?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since no one else has replied yet, I'll take a shot. I created a named range
called test1 as:
=EVALUATE(Sheet3!D5+Sheet3!E5)
Both d5 and e5 had numbers, and when I put =test1 into a cell, it gave me
the sum of those numbers.

I have a feeling, but am not positive, that evaluate was part of the prior
macro language that Excel used; I believe it was called XLM.

BTW, as the cells reference are relative, if I use the =test1 formula
elsewhere, it should give me the answer using the cells relative to where my
cursor was prior to creating the named range (I believe I was in D6 when I
created the range name.) Let me test this to make sure by putting the
formula in a different cell and observing the results:
So, it turns out that I was in E6 when I created the named range and yes, it
does add the cell above and the cell above and to the left wherever you enter
the formula =test1

If it is indeed from XLM, then there is a caveat to watch out for (and I
never remember the exact details. Something like don't copy the name or the
spreadsheet to another workbook or, at least in Excel 2000, it could cause a
crash.) I never have and never will experiment with this to see if it does
happen as I never deliberately try to crash my system.
--
Kevin Vaughn

"Rasoul Khoshravan" wrote:

Is this a command name in Excel?
What is its function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the precautions....
--
"Bright minds are blessed to those who share them.."-rsb.

"Rasoul Khoshravan" wrote:

Is this a command name in Excel?
What is its function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

We have recently had an interesting and detailed discussion on EVALUATE. Please feel free to do a search - same forum, October 14.

Epinn

"Rasoul Khoshravan" wrote in message ...
Is this a command name in Excel?
What is its function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks. That was interesting.
"Epinn" wrote in message
Are you asking something totally different from EVALUATE ( )?

I use the term "Evaluate Formula" quite often in my posts. It is an
excellent tool. Try it and you may like it. Click on a cell that contains
a formula and then click ToolsFormula AuditingEvaluate Formula.

Epinn

"Rasoul Khoshravan" wrote in message
Is this a command name in Excel?
What is its function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks. I read it but need more time to think and understand.
If I understand correctly, it stores a series of functions under name and
uses EVALUATE funtion to recall it. Is this correct?

"Epinn" wrote in message
I couldn't understand your explanation on Evaluate.

The thread on Oct. 14 that I mentioned in my previous post explains EVALUATE
( ) in great detail. A real life example was given. It would be worth
reading. Did you have a chance to take a look?

"Rasoul Khoshravan" wrote:

Is this a command name in Excel?
What is its function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I've found this form useful: it's possible to pass an argument to the
evaluate function.
With cell A1 selected define the name eval as below:

eval: =EVALUATE(EVALUATE("if("&MID(GET.CELL(6,!A1),6,250 )))

Then you can enter formulas in any cell in the form:

=IF(1,eval,TextToEvaluate)

eg:

=IF(1,eval,"1+2*3") returns 7

or if A2 contains the text 1,2,3,4,5

=IF(1,eval,SUBSTITUTE(A2,",","+") returns 15

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The above method can also handle calculations that are difficult or
time consuming using conventional worksheet functions such as text
calculations or calculations across worksheets. e.g.

A1: Sheet5

A2: =IF(1,eval,"sum(sheet1:"&A1&"!A:A")

sums all numbers in first column of sheets 1 to 5. Or:

A1: 6 crates of 50 apples @ $ 0.40 per apple

A2: =IF(1,PRODUCT(IF(ISNUMBER(--eval),--eval)),"{"""&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"

as an array formula returns the correct value $120.