Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Extract Symbol

Using Excel 2003

I have a cell (B3) that has a value of 0.30%. Then I have another cell
(B5) that has a value of 0.35%. I want to know the difference between the
two values, which is 0.05%. I cannot just use the formula =B5-B3 because of
the greater than symbol in B3. I was thinking of using a different cell
(let's say C3) and then create a formula for that cell to extract the
symbol and then use that cell for my difference and then hide that column.
What would be the formula to hide the symbol?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Karen,

=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B3,"",""))

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you - It's works great!

"PCLIVE" wrote:

One way:

=B5-RIGHT(B3,LEN(B3)-1)

Regards,
Paul

"Karen" wrote in message
Using Excel 2003

I have a cell (B3) that has a value of 0.30%. Then I have another cell
(B5) that has a value of 0.35%. I want to know the difference between the
two values, which is 0.05%. I cannot just use the formula =B5-B3 because
of
the greater than symbol in B3. I was thinking of using a different cell
(let's say C3) and then create a formula for that cell to extract the
symbol and then use that cell for my difference and then hide that column.
What would be the formula to hide the symbol?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for your help

"Carim" wrote:

Hi Karen,

=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B3,"",""))

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for your help

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Try this:

=B5-MID(B3,2,99)

"Karen" wrote:

Using Excel 2003

I have a cell (B3) that has a value of 0.30%. Then I have another cell
(B5) that has a value of 0.35%. I want to know the difference between the
two values, which is 0.05%. I cannot just use the formula =B5-B3 because of
the greater than symbol in B3. I was thinking of using a different cell
(let's say C3) and then create a formula for that cell to extract the
symbol and then use that cell for my difference and then hide that column.
What would be the formula to hide the symbol?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have time, would you please break this formula down into laymen's terms?
Thank you again, Karen
"PCLIVE" wrote:

One way:

=B5-RIGHT(B3,LEN(B3)-1)

Regards,
Paul

"Karen" wrote in message
Using Excel 2003

I have a cell (B3) that has a value of 0.30%. Then I have another cell
(B5) that has a value of 0.35%. I want to know the difference between the
two values, which is 0.05%. I cannot just use the formula =B5-B3 because
of
the greater than symbol in B3. I was thinking of using a different cell
(let's say C3) and then create a formula for that cell to extract the
symbol and then use that cell for my difference and then hide that column.
What would be the formula to hide the symbol?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This determines the number of characters (including spaces) in B3, which
equals 6.
=Len(B3)

Since you want to remove the first character, then you need to subtract 1:
=Len(B3)-1

This returns the 5 right-most characters, which is 0.30%.
=Right(B3,5)
Now just replace the '5' with the formula we used to determine that number.
=Right(B3,Len(B3)-1)

Now you just need to subtract from B5, hence:
=B5-RIGHT(B3,LEN(B3)-1)

HTH,
Paul

"Karen" wrote in message
If you have time, would you please break this formula down into laymen's
terms?
Thank you again, Karen
"PCLIVE" wrote:

One way:

=B5-RIGHT(B3,LEN(B3)-1)

Regards,
Paul

"Karen" wrote in message
Using Excel 2003

I have a cell (B3) that has a value of 0.30%. Then I have another
cell
(B5) that has a value of 0.35%. I want to know the difference between
the
two values, which is 0.05%. I cannot just use the formula =B5-B3
because
of
the greater than symbol in B3. I was thinking of using a different
cell
(let's say C3) and then create a formula for that cell to extract the
symbol and then use that cell for my difference and then hide that
column.
What would be the formula to hide the symbol?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you - It helps to understand the formula - You made my day!

"Karen" wrote in message
If you have time, would you please break this formula down into laymen's
terms?
Thank you again, Karen
"PCLIVE" wrote:

One way: