Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default 2 Workbooks and 6 Worksheets - Need to Populate 1 Workbook

I have two EXCEL 2000 workbooks( Estimates.xls and Prices.xls).

Workbook 'Estimates.xls' has 1 worksheet with empty cells (C&D) that need
populating if columns A&B are filled in, see below.
(snapshot of ESTIMATES.xls)
A B C D
1 Product Batch Description Est Price
2 400 01 ____ $____
3 400 03 ____ $____
4 600 01 ____ $____
5 200 02 ____ $____
6 900 01 ____ $____
7 900 02 ____ $____

Workbook 'Prices.xls' has 6 worksheets that are lists of different brands
with prices used for referencing the 'Estimate.xls' workbook. Its sheets are
titled 'Brand 1, Brand 2 thru Brand 6', see below.
(snapshot of PRICES.xls, specifically Brand 1 worksheet)
A B C D
1 Product Batch Description Est Price
2 200 01 Red $45
3 300 03 Blue Small $75
4 600 01 Orange Med $47
5 900 02 Large $87
6 400 01 Small $96
7 900 01 Medium $15

(PRICES.xls, Brand 2 worksheet)
A B C D
1 Product Batch Description Est Price
2 100 01 Green $22
3 800 03 Brown $14
4 400 01 Black $95
5 200 02 XL $67
6 900 03 XXL $98
7 700 02 XXXL $10

(this is a snapshot of PRICES.xls, Brand 3 worksheet)
A B C D
1 Product Batch Description Price
2 500 01 Cyan $44
3 400 03 Magenta $29

Worksheets 4 thru 6 are very similar.

Any help with this is appreciated.
(ps: I'm a beginner so please use details in response)
Michelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You would need to use the VLOOKUP function to do what you're trying to do.

However, one suggestion would be to have one workbook rather than two for
this task. The reason for this is that the syntax for VLOOKUP formulas is
rather complex; it is made more so by having a link to an external workbook.
Since you say you're a beginner you may wish to save yourself the headache of
auditing VLOOKUPS which reference external workbooks.

In any event, this site explains how VLOOKUP works:
http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/vlookup.php

Best thing for you to do would go to the site, try the VLOOKUP, and, if you
run into problems, reply to this post with the VLOOKUP syntax you are using
and someone can help you.

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you Dave, but I tried the VLOOKUP and it does not work for all of my 6
sheets nor for the 2 criteria search (Product and Batch Code).

Also, for accounting purposes I cannot move any data, because other
departments reference that same Price.xls workbook.

Michelle

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

excuse me Dave...Michelle,
From your sheet title:
Brand 1 : item 6 : Product 400, Batch 01, Description Small, Est.Price $96--
Brand 2 : item 4 : Product 400, Batch 01, Description Black, Est.Price $95--
Your encoding sheet A & B on Estimates.xls may not be enough if you dont add
another column LIKE for Brand....
The BRANDS sheet Description is quite strange- some are by sizes, others are
by colors....please check first the 6 Brand Sheet Description and Product
coding....more power...

"Bright minds are blessed to those who share them.."-rsb.

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Romelsb,

Thanks for replying but.....................

In all honesty, the 'Descriptions', I have provided you are irrelevant, only
cell fillers in place of the true info. The sheet names.....Brand 1, Brand
2, etc, etc. are also irrelevant, only sheet name fillers in place of the
true info., So do not focus on those.......

"My main interest is in finding a way to automatically poplulate cells from
one workbook with 6 different sheets to another workbook with 1 sheet."

I have tried the VLOOKUP function below with cntrl+shft+enter, it works for
only 1 criteria search not both (product# and batch#). Maybe there is another
function INDEX MATCH or something that I should be using.........

=IF(OR('[Prices.xls]sheet1'!$A$2:$A$3=C2),VLOOKUP(C2,'[Prices.xls]sheet1'!$A$2:$C$3,3,FALSE),IF(OR('[Prices.xls]sheet2'!$A$2:$A$3=C2),VLOOKUP(C2,'[Prices.xls]sheet2'!$A$2:$C$3,3,FALSE),IF(OR('[Prices.xls]sheet3'!$A$2:$A$3=C2),VLOOKUP(C2,'[Prices.xls]sheet3'!$A$2:$C$3,3,FALSE),IF(OR('[Prices.xls]sheet4'!$A$2:$A$3=C2),VLOOKUP(C2,'[Prices.xls]sheet4'!$A$2:$C$3,3,FALSE),IF(OR('[Prices.xls]sheet5'!$A$2:$A$3=C2),VLOOKUP(C2,'[Prices.xls]sheet5'!$A$2:$C$3,3,FALSE),IF(OR('[Prices.xls]sheet6'!$A$2:$A$3=C2),VLOOKUP(C2,'[Prices.xls]sheet6'!$A$2:$C$3,3,FALSE),""))))))

Again Anyone with experience in this area please assist.

Thank you much !!

"romelsb" wrote:

excuse me Dave...Michelle,
From your sheet title:

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you saying that you want to match on Product and Batch, and can you
guarantee that there are no duplicates of these in your pricing
worksheets? In your examples you have 400 01 in two sheets, so would
you like to specify the Brand in another column of your Estimates file,
or can we say that such duplicates will not occur in the actual Prices
file?

If you want to perform a lookup over a number of lookup tables, the
standard approach is something like:

=IF(ISNA(vlookup1),IF(ISNA(vlookup2),IF(ISNA(vlook up3),"missing",vlookup3),vlookup2),vlookup1)

This is for 3 tables, but hopefully with the symmetry of the formula
you can see how it could be extended to up to 6. I think you may be
pushing it with the limit on the number of characters in a formula, so
you may like to have a column which looks at 3 sheets and another
column which looks at the other three sheets (these could be hidden)
and then a final formula which chooses the appropriate value from the
two hidden columns (at least one of which will contain "missing" if the
entries are unique).

However, you want to match on two columns, so VLOOKUP is not
appropriate if you can't amend your pricing tables to amalgamate the
lookups - you will have to use an INDEX/MATCH/MATCH combination.

Hope this helps.

Pete

MichelleS wrote:
[...]

"romelsb" wrote:

excuse me Dave...Michelle,
From your sheet title:

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Pete for replying to my message, but can you do me a favor and write
out the "=IF(ISNA" formula using the actual cells in my example
"IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1??)", only because I'm not that experienced with this
formula? Thank you again.

MichelleS

MichelleS wrote:
[...]

"romelsb" wrote:

excuse me Dave...Michelle,
From your sheet title:

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Michelle

Would it be acceptable to use a VBA solution, to copy the data from each
sheet of Prices.xls into one sheet in Estimates.xls called Summary?
During the process, an extra column would be created which would place
the name of the sheet tab from each sheet of prices, alongside the each
row of data derived from that sheet. Therefore your final table in
Estimates would have Brand as well all the other data, thereby getting
round any problems with duplicate Product or Batch codes between sheets.

If so the code is quite simple and fast, but I need to know if the 2
files reside in the same folder, if not where does each file reside.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

MichelleS wrote:
[...]

"romelsb" wrote:

excuse me Dave...Michelle,
From your sheet title:

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger,

Yes, I think I could safely copy the 6 sheets of data onto 1 sheet in the
Estimate file and call that Sheet 'Summary'.
Also, to correct a constant question here, in my original data there are 'NO
Repeats or Duplicate codes like the example'. Also, the two files do not
reside in the same folder.

Can you share with me a specific VBA solution for the example submitted?

Thank you,
MichelleS.

MichelleS wrote:
[...]

"romelsb" wrote:

excuse me Dave...Michelle,
From your sheet title:

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Michelle

In your Workbook Summary.xls, create a sheet called Summary with
headings in A1:E1 of
Product, Batch, Description, Est Price, Brand

Use the code below, after modifying the line Set Spath = to reflect the
location of the folder containing Prices.xls.
This code needs to be copied into a standard module in Summary.xls,
(details how to copy shown below the code)
Use ToolsMacroRun to invoke the macro whenever needed.
It deletes all entries on Summary sheet and rebuilds all from scratch
each time it is run.

Sub ColateData()
Dim Wbook As Workbook, Spath As String
Dim SourceSheet As Worksheet, DestSheet As Worksheet
Dim addrow As Long, lastrow As Long
Dim source As Range, dest As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Summary").Select
Set DestSheet = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Summary")
With DestSheet
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
If lastrow = 1 Then lastrow = 2
Rows("2:" & lastrow).Clear
End With
Set Spath = "C:\Excel\Ngroups\" ' <=== Change to suit
Set Wbook = Workbooks.Open(Spath & "Prices.xls")

For Each SourceSheet In Wbook.Worksheets
With DestSheet
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
End With

addrow = SourceSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
Set source = SourceSheet.Range("A2:D" & addrow)
Set dest = DestSheet.Range("A" & lastrow + 1)
source.Copy dest
DestSheet.Range("E" & lastrow + 1 & ":E" & lastrow + addrow - 1)
= SourceSheet.Name

Next

Wbook.Close Savechanges:=False
ThisWorkbook.Save

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

You can copy the code and paste it into your Visual Basic Editor
(VBE) in a Standard Module located in your file.

To do this,

Alt + F11 (open VBE)
Ctrl + R (open Project Explorer)
Select the file name on the left
Insert Module
Paste code in Module

--
Regards

Roger Govier

MichelleS wrote:
[...]

"romelsb" wrote:

excuse me Dave...Michelle,
From your sheet title:

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Michelle and Roger,

sorry for not responding sooner - have been getting ready to go away
first thing in the morning.

Roger - could you modify your code so that after it copied the six
sheets from the Prices file it inserted a new column C and concatenated
A and B (Product and Batch) together?

Michelle - if Roger joins the two fields together in a new column C of
your Summary sheet, then assuming there are no duplicates you can enter
these formulae in columns C and D of your Estimates sheet:

C2: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2&B2,Summary!C:F,2,0)),"Not
Present",VLOOKUP(A2&B2,Summary!C:F,2,0))
D2:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2&B2,Summary!C:F,3,0)),"",VLOOKU P(A2&B2,Summary!C:F,3,0))

and you can add a column E with "Brand" in E1:

E2:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2&B2,Summary!C:F,4,0)),"",VLOOKU P(A2&B2,Summary!C:F,4,0))

If a match isn't found you will get the message "Not Present" in column
C and blanks in D and E, otherwise you will get the Description, Price
and Brand returned in these columns. If there are duplicates, then
VLOOKUP will find the first of these. Copy the formulae down for as
many entries as you have in A and B.

Hope this helps.

Pete

MichelleS wrote:
[...]

"romelsb" wrote:

excuse me Dave...Michelle,
From your sheet title:

"MichelleS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Pete and Michelle

Roger - could you modify your code so that after it copied the six
sheets from the Prices file it inserted a new column C and
concatenated
A and B (Product and Batch) together?

I can if required, and I had played with using concatenation as a method
for Michelle to achieve her objective without resorting to VBA - which
would have been perfectly feasible.

With the VBA solution, however, she has all of the data she needs
without having to resort to any further Lookups of any description hence
I do not really think it is required.
Marking the top row and applying DataFilterAutofilter will permit the
selection of any range of products, all of which will have their
Description and Price.

I have noticed 2 errors in my original code
Set Spath = "C:\Excel\Ngroups\" ' <=== Change to suit

Should not have the word Set at the beginning, it should just read

Spath = "C:\Excel\Ngroups\" ' <=== Change to suit

Also, I can get inconsistent results with the line
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

This should be amended to
lastrow = DestSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

I have repeated the complete code below, with the inclusion of Pete's
request for the concatenation.
I have remmed out the 2 sections which have been added for this purpose,
removing the single quote in front of the lines where shown will cause
them to be invoked.

Sub ColateData()
Dim Wbook As Workbook, Spath As String
Dim SourceSheet As Worksheet, DestSheet As Worksheet
Dim addrow As Long, lastrow As Long
Dim source As Range, dest As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Summary").Select
Set DestSheet = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Summary")
With DestSheet
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
If lastrow = 1 Then lastrow = 2
Rows("2:" & lastrow).Clear

'Remove single quotes at beginning of next 3 lines if Concatenation of
'Product and Batch is required

'If UCase(Range("C1")) < UCase("Description") Then
'Columns("C:C").Delete
'End If

End With
Spath = "C:\Excel\Ngroups\" ' <=== Change to suit
Set Wbook = Workbooks.Open(Spath & "Prices.xls") ' line amended to
remove Set

For Each SourceSheet In Wbook.Worksheets
With DestSheet
lastrow = DestSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row ' Destsheet added
to line
End With

addrow = SourceSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
Set source = SourceSheet.Range("A2:D" & addrow)
Set dest = DestSheet.Range("A" & lastrow + 1)
source.Copy dest
DestSheet.Range("E" & lastrow + 1 & ":E" & lastrow + addrow - 1)
= SourceSheet.Name

Next

'Remove single quotes at beginning of next 3 lines if Concatenation of
'Product and Batch is required
' DestSheet.Columns("C:C").Insert
' DestSheet.Range("C2").FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]&""|""&RC[-1]"
' DestSheet.Range("C2").Copy DestSheet.Range("C3:C" & lastrow +
addrow - 1)

Wbook.Close Savechanges:=False
ThisWorkbook.Save

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Post back if you have any difficulties.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you Roger for all your help with this......although I am not that
versed with the below codes and am having difficulty using them. Will it be
possible to forward you the actual 2 workbooks (Estimates.xls and Prices.xls)
via email to see what I am visually trying to relay?

Also, Pete thank you as well, even through your travels I still would like
to express my appreciation. Hoping a safe return.

MichelleS

Hi Pete and Michelle

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Michelle

Fine, send the files to me direct.
Remove NOSPAM from my email address to mail directly.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"MichelleS" wrote in message
Thank you Roger for all your help with this......although I am not
that
versed with the below codes and am having difficulty using them. Will
it be
possible to forward you the actual 2 workbooks (Estimates.xls and
Prices.xls)
via email to see what I am visually trying to relay?

Also, Pete thank you as well, even through your travels I still would
like
to express my appreciation. Hoping a safe return.

MichelleS

Hi Pete and Michelle

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Michelle,

Hope you managed to get something working.

Pete, from Canada

MichelleS wrote:
Thank you Roger for all your help with this......although I am not that
versed with the below codes and am having difficulty using them. Will it be
possible to forward you the actual 2 workbooks (Estimates.xls and Prices.xls)
via email to see what I am visually trying to relay?

Also, Pete thank you as well, even through your travels I still would like
to express my appreciation. Hoping a safe return.

MichelleS

Hi Pete and Michelle

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Pete / Michelle

Michelle sent me 2 sample workbooks. I had to make some substantial
changes to the code I posted originally, and sent back to Michelle. She
has just mailed me back to thank me, and whilst there are some other
difficulties she still needs to resolve. I had asked her when mailing
back, would she mind if I posted details of the changes, in order to
"close the thread" and also so "Pete would see what has happened on
return from his vacation". She agreed and said this thread can now be
"closed".

Basically the data in Pricelists was "dirty". There were many case where
Lot No appeared in column A just once, with many Batch numbers in
successive rows. There were also lots of blank rows throughout each
Sheet in Pricelist.
One Brand sheet, had an extra column E with quantities recorded.

I read all data across from each sheet as per original code, but picking
up columns A to E from all sheets.
I then inserted missing Lot No.s for all relevant lines.
I applied an Autofilter to the table, selected blank rows and deleted
them.
I inserted a column at C and made a concatenation of A2 & "|" &B2 ( I
like to insert the pipe character "|" between concatenations so there
can be no confusion between whether 36001 is 360 and 01 or 36 and 001.
I created a range called Mydata for columns C to F for the range of rows
within the cleaned data on the Summary sheet.

On the sheet called Data in Michelle's Summary file, she had set up a
table with headings in A4 to F4 of
Item No., Lot No., Batch No., Quantity, Description, Unit Cost
I amended her formulae in E5 and F5 to
=IF(B5="","",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B5&"|"&$C5,MyData,2, 0)),
"Not Present",VLOOKUP($B5&"|"&$C5,MyData,2,0)))
with the Offset in F5 being changed from 2 to 3

At the beginning of the code, Autofilter is switched off for the Summary
sheet, Column C containing the concatenation is deleted, all rows from
row 2 to the last row of data are cleared before the procedure goes
through the steps as outlined above.

Pete have a great holiday.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

MichelleS wrote:
Thank you Roger for all your help with this......although I am not
that
versed with the below codes and am having difficulty using them.
Will it be
possible to forward you the actual 2 workbooks (Estimates.xls and
Prices.xls)
via email to see what I am visually trying to relay?

Also, Pete thank you as well, even through your travels I still would
like
to express my appreciation. Hoping a safe return.

MichelleS

Hi Pete and Michelle