Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default in Excel: how can I make excel count 5 as 15 (5+4+3+2+1)

I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because (3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned already.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What is the something that you want done to the digit entered?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Carl" wrote:

I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because (3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned already.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe something like this?

With a number in Cell A1

B1: =SUMPRODUCT(ROW($A$1:INDEX($A:$A,A1)))

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Carl" wrote:

I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because (3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned already.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Carl,

In A2, use the formula

=SUMPRODUCT(ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & A1))*1)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Carl" wrote in message
I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because (3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned already.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yup....as soon as I posted, my "math brain" belatedly engaged and reminded me
of that formula.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"RagDyer" wrote:

This should work for you:

=A1*(A1+1)/2

--
HTH,

RD

"Carl" wrote in message
I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because (3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned already.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think this would work mo' bettah.

=(A1^2+A1)/2

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:20:31 -0700, "RagDyer" wrote:

This should work for you:

=A1*(A1+1)/2

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Carl....Yah 3+2+1 = 6, but you say sum years----what does 3 pertains in
relation to 2 and 1. if you input 3 - what does 3 stands for ? 3 years ? Then
what is 2 and 1 for ? I cant see a sense to solve this problem of yours ?

"Carl" wrote in message
I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because (3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned already.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One brick goes on top of two bricks, across the join.
Two bricks go on top of three bricks across the joins etc.
The desired "pyramid" is 5 bricks high, how many bricks?

That is just one example. Similar scenarios pop up all over the place in the
real world.

"Carl" wrote in message
I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because
(3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I
don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned
already.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For the bricks, You are right David...but as u said,,,in the real
world....years are not
treated for such logical application....

"Carl" wrote in message
I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because
(3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I
don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned
already.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well Gord, with no intention of implying that I'm well versed in
mathematics, I just happen to take a liking to this "Arithmetic Series".

A year or so ago, Dana put me on to a link (which I can't find at the
moment) that described how Gauss formulated this "truth".

In words it's:

<<<"The count of sequential numbers times the average of the first and last
number."

=A1*(A1+1)/2

So, the formula I posted is supposed to be "intuitive" for *ALL*
possibilities.

Here, the OP's request was for a sum of a series starting (or ending) with
1, therefore, the last (or first) number in this series is the *actual*
amount (count) of numbers in the sequential series, so your A1^2 works.

BUT ... what if the we're looking for, say 5 to 15?
A1 = 15
B1 = 5

In the original formula, A1 now has to become (A1-B1+1)
And the balance becomes (A1+B1)/2

So we now have:
=(A1-B1+1)*(A1+B1)/2

Taking it a step further, there's *no* stipulation that the sequential
series must have an increment or decrement constant of *1*.

Let's take the same 5 to 15, but here we want an increment constant of 5,
the SUM of the sequential series of 5, 10, &15.
A1 = 15
B1 = 5
C1 = 5

=((A1-B1)/C1+1)*(A1+B1)/2

So, that's why:
<<<"The count of sequential numbers times the average of the first and last
number."
=A1*(A1+1)/2

Is probably easier to relate to.

RD

oops!!

Not better, just the same.

Sorry RD

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:16:33 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

I think this would work mo' bettah.

=(A1^2+A1)/2

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:20:31 -0700, "RagDyer"
wrote:

This should work for you:

=A1*(A1+1)/2

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

RD

I will ponder this for a while then quietly drift off to whatever planet I
currently reside on. Depends upon which set of meds I'm on<g

But I am improving.....honestly!

Thanks for the work you put into this explanation.

Saved for future regurgitation.

Gord

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:56:31 -0700, "RagDyeR" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Found that link!
Here it is:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ArithmeticSeries.html