Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I have have one column's input depend on the variables in a second one?

I would like to have a set of names assigned to certain numbers for inventory
purposes, such as, each time that '12345' is typed in any row in the first
column the corresponding row of the second column will say 'Product A.' It
would also have to respond in such a way that if '34567' is typed in the same
location, 'Product D' would be displayed.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Default How can I have have one column's input depend on the variables in

The feature you're looking for is called VLOOKUP........check out the HELP
section for "VLOOKUP worksheet function" and give it a try........post back
here if you need any help.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"willb" wrote:

I would like to have a set of names assigned to certain numbers for inventory
purposes, such as, each time that '12345' is typed in any row in the first
column the corresponding row of the second column will say 'Product A.' It
would also have to respond in such a way that if '34567' is typed in the same
location, 'Product D' would be displayed.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That worked nice... I have to make sure all future inputs will be sequencial
though. I listed the products like schools make their course outlines:
Freshman comp - 101, Brit Lit - 102, leave some room/skip a few, Am Lit 110...
. I have the spaces in there to add the names that I don't have the numbers
for yet.

Thanks for the help my friend.
-Will

CLR wrote:
The feature you're looking for is called VLOOKUP........check out the HELP
section for "VLOOKUP worksheet function" and give it a try........post back
here if you need any help.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

I would like to have a set of names assigned to certain numbers for inventory
purposes, such as, each time that '12345' is typed in any row in the first

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Default How can I have have one column's input depend on the variables

You're welcome Will, thanks for the feedback. And, be sure to check out the
last option on the VLOOKUP formula, "FALSE", for it searches only for exact
matches...

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3