Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default need formula help

I am trying to add mileage for different categories (Charity, Business,
Medical, and Research). Please see this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimmy528...51438772699154

How do I get the results in Column G by adding up the Mileage (Column
D). For example, I want a formula that will search through Column A for
"Charity" and know to add cells D14, D16 and D19 resulting in the sum
of "60" in cell G3?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Should be able to make good use of the SUMIF() function. For the first one,
in G3, try
=SUMIF(A11:A21,"Charity",D11:D21)
repeat exactly the same for the next three, just change "charity" to
"business", "medical" and "research" as appropriate.

See Excel HELP on SUMIF() for a detailed explanation if it's not obvious to
you what's going on.

"jimmy" wrote:

I am trying to add mileage for different categories (Charity, Business,
Medical, and Research). Please see this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimmy528...51438772699154

How do I get the results in Column G by adding up the Mileage (Column
D). For example, I want a formula that will search through Column A for
"Charity" and know to add cells D14, D16 and D19 resulting in the sum
of "60" in cell G3?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=SUMIF(A$11:A$21,C3,D$11:D$21)

Copy down to G6.

Biff

"jimmy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to add mileage for different categories (Charity, Business,
Medical, and Research). Please see this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimmy528...51438772699154

How do I get the results in Column G by adding up the Mileage (Column
D). For example, I want a formula that will search through Column A for
"Charity" and know to add cells D14, D16 and D19 resulting in the sum
of "60" in cell G3?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you both! That worked perfectly. :)