camalex03

Default How do I protect a formula from "accidently" being changed in Exc.

I have set up a spreadsheet for the whole year. I want to make the cells
that contain formulas from being changed without a warning of some type. I
can't understand all the "help" answers. I need lamen terms. Thank you!!
JulieD

Hi

basically you need to protect them ... more specifically you need to
unprotect the cells you want people to get to and then protect the worksheet

to unprotect cells:
choose the cells that you want people to get to (ie not the ones with
formulas in) and then choose format / cells - protection, and untick
locked - Ok

to protect the sheet:
choose tools / protection / protect sheet - add a password in if you wish

note: worksheet protection works on a sheet by sheet basis - so if you've
got more than one sheet you'll need to do it individually for each one

note2: worksheet protection does not stop people deleting sheets - for that
you need workbook protection as well (tools / protection / protect workbook)

hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"camalex03" wrote in message
I have set up a spreadsheet for the whole year. I want to make the cells
that contain formulas from being changed without a warning of some type.
can't understand all the "help" answers. I need lamen terms. Thank you!!

Dave R.

Under formatcells, you can specify, under "protection", whether a cell is
locked or unlocked when the sheet is protected. If you have a range that you
want to be able to edit as you go, select it, formatprotectionunlock. Then
go to toolsprotection and protect the worksheet with a password. All cells
on the sheet other those you "unlocked" will be protected from editing.
You'll still be able to enter data in, delete, etc. the cells in the range
you unlocked.