Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding data from multiple rows

Here is my delima:

In column one, a person can input their ID number. In Column two, they
input hours of work.
Now there are multiple employees using the same sheet. What I want to
do is create a formula that adds all the values in column two that
correspond with each id number.

In other words, I want to make a formula that groups all the values
from the same ID number and adds them up.

Eventually I want to make a list that summarizes by employee id their
total hours worked.

Any sugguestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A couple of possiblities but I would be most inclined to use a pivot table.
Place your cursor in the middle of your data and then select Data - Pivot
Table. Now just follow the wizard (or hit finish as the wizard will narmally
make all of the correct guesses for you). Drag the Employee IDs to the left
column and the values to the middle...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"PCStechnical" wrote:

Here is my delima:

In column one, a person can input their ID number. In Column two, they
input hours of work.
Now there are multiple employees using the same sheet. What I want to
do is create a formula that adds all the values in column two that
correspond with each id number.

In other words, I want to make a formula that groups all the values
from the same ID number and adds them up.

Eventually I want to make a list that summarizes by employee id their
total hours worked.

Any sugguestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you explain to me what a pivot table does?

You said their are a couple of possibilities. What are the other ones?
I kind of want the worksheet to do this automatically when individuals
enter their information. I have to make it as dummy proof as possible.
Asking people to do a pivot table would scare some of the individuals
I'm working with.

Thanks for the reply.