Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Chart data won't accept text functions in series name

I have a chart based on data where the label at the top of each column
of data is a number. I want the name of the data series to be this
number followed by a colon and a '1'. I can do this in a cell with the
formula

=LED!$C$2&":1"

But when I try to enter this in the name for the series it gives me an
error. I have also tried formulas using TEXT() and CONCATENATE() and
get the same error. Is this not possible in a series name entry?

I am also trying to get the same display in the column headers. Is
there a way to format a number with up to two decimal places if the
digits are not zero and not display the decimal point if the number is
an integer? I can do this with a complicated text function, but I
don't see how to do it with formatting controls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

you could add these series names by excluding them in your data selection
then from the chart choose chartdata sourceseries titles - just click on
the cell(s)

wrote in message
ups.com...
| I have a chart based on data where the label at the top of each column
| of data is a number. I want the name of the data series to be this
| number followed by a colon and a '1'. I can do this in a cell with the
| formula
|
| =LED!$C$2&":1"
|
| But when I try to enter this in the name for the series it gives me an
| error. I have also tried formulas using TEXT() and CONCATENATE() and
| get the same error. Is this not possible in a series name entry?
|
| I am also trying to get the same display in the column headers. Is
| there a way to format a number with up to two decimal places if the
| digits are not zero and not display the decimal point if the number is
| an integer? I can do this with a complicated text function, but I
| don't see how to do it with formatting controls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, but I was trying not to add another row to the page. I have the
tables of data with the column headers as a value that is used in the
table calculations as well as the graphs of the data, adding more rows
makes the charts smaller if I want to print it onto a single page. I
would have to add another row containing the label to be used in the
chart. For now I am just typing the data name into the chart in the
name field. Its not a big chart, I was just surprised that I could not
use functions in this field when I can use other things like I use in
cells.

JethroUK© wrote:
you could add these series names by excluding them in your data selection
then from the chart choose chartdata sourceseries titles - just click on
the cell(s)

wrote in message
ups.com...
| I have a chart based on data where the label at the top of each column
| of data is a number. I want the name of the data series to be this
| number followed by a colon and a '1'. I can do this in a cell with the
| formula
|
| =LED!$C$2&":1"
|
| But when I try to enter this in the name for the series it gives me an
| error. I have also tried formulas using TEXT() and CONCATENATE() and
| get the same error. Is this not possible in a series name entry?
|
| I am also trying to get the same display in the column headers. Is
| there a way to format a number with up to two decimal places if the
| digits are not zero and not display the decimal point if the number is
| an integer? I can do this with a complicated text function, but I
| don't see how to do it with formatting controls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i might not have explained very well but you dont need to add extra rows -
just leave out these headings in your chart selection - you can include them
later via Chartdata sourceseires titles

oups.com...

JethroUK© wrote:
you could add these series names by excluding them in your data selection
then from the chart choose chartdata sourceseries titles - just click on
the cell(s)

ups.com...