Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Force overlap of cell wen row is full, how to?

Hi Folks. Here's a stumper...

Say I have a row of cells
January January January Febur Febur Febur March March March
These are actually all "=DATE('otherSheet!'A1, "mmmm") which refer
to a row of dates on another sheet.

I also have Conditional Formatting so I only have to see the first
occurrence of each. To do this, I set the font as white but have the
condition that "if the current cell is NOT equal to the one directly
left of it," use *bold* black font. It then looks like
January Febru March
and all is well.

Okay, under these I have the date
January
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 etc.

To get THIS effect I adjust the column width to the width if the
numbers. THe problem is, Rather than looking like
January February
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8,

it looks like
Ja Fe
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The reason is because the cell just right of the one containing "Ja"
DOES have something in it (even though you can't see it). I can get
the desired effect by manually deleting the cells to the right of the
Ja, Fe, Ma, etc. My desire though, is to automate this so that I only
need to enter the data as the row of dates in the other sheet
(mentioned above), and just keep this one locked.

So the question: Is it possible to 'tell' Excel to "prefer" the cell
with the bold font and thus let it "overlap" the one at it's right? Is
there another way to achieve the desired effect?

Thanks in advance -steve