Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Insert description into own Formulas

Is it possible to add text in the formula wizard area to explain the formula
which we have created ourselves? For all the other standard formula there is
a description but how can I insert a description into the dialog box for the
formula we have created?

Kind regards

Nicole
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Nicole,

Using Range names could make the formula self descriptive i.e.
Profit = (Puchases*1.3) - Expenses
and you could insert comment to describe your formula ...

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nicole

You can use this type of formula

=a2*a1+n("my wage+bonus-4 weekly loan repayments")

Anything after the "n" will be seen in the formula bar but not in the cell.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:09:02 -0700, Nicole
wrote:

Is it possible to add text in the formula wizard area to explain the formula
which we have created ourselves? For all the other standard formula there is
a description but how can I insert a description into the dialog box for the
formula we have created?

Kind regards

Nicole

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ooops!

Perhaps you are talking about description for a User Defined Function you
created.

You can add a brief description of your UDF by going to ToolsMacroMacros.

Type in the name of your UDF and hit "Options". Add a description and hit OK
then Cancel. Yes......Cancel.

To actually add the arguments you will need something more complex.

To fully customize your User Defined Functions....

See Laurent Longre's website for FUNCUSTOMIZE add-in.

ZIP file also includes a demo file and a how-to-use file.

http://longre.free.fr/english/index.html

UNFORTUNATELY................Ballon/Screen Tips are not available with Laurent's
method.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

wrote:

Is it possible to add text in the formula wizard area to explain the formula
which we have created ourselves? For all the other standard formula there is
a description but how can I insert a description into the dialog box for the
formula we have created?

Kind regards

Nicole

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Nicole" wrote in message
Is it possible to add text in the formula wizard area to explain the
formula
which we have created ourselves? For all the other standard formula there
is
a description but how can I insert a description into the dialog box for
the
formula we have created?

You can insert a comment in the cell where the formula is.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In the VBA editor, enter that line in the "Immediate" window:
Application.MacroOptions
"NAME_OF_YOUR_FORMULA","THE_DESCRIPTION_YOU_WANT_T O_ASSIGN_TO_YOUR_FORMULA"
--
Festina Lente